Wireless Shure DA Antennas

tbrennan

Hello,

I have a small wireless rack with 2 Shure ULX (500mhz) and 3 Sennheiser G2 (660mhz) systems. They all go though a Shure Antenna Distribution Amp.
Shure said that you can mix ranges and brands on one DA.
Now, I am looking for a set of antennas for the system, I know the Shure Paddles are the best choice for this DA, however would a set of BNC Wideband telescopic antennas work?
They are spec'd to cover the whole UHF band when fully extended. Would they work okay for the wireless mic systems?

Thanks!

A couple of thoughts. First, there is no technical reason that makes the Shure LPDA (paddle/shark fin) antennas better than Sennheiser, Lectrosonics, or any other manufacturer. You do not want an amplified antenna, by the way...they cause more problems than they fix!

As far as the whip goes, I can tell you it does not actually cover the entire UHF range when fully extended, at least not the way they imply it does. That's physically impossible (antennas are resonant over a narrow band of frequencies inversely related to their length). It may seem to work but it will not be optimal in any sense.

Let me ask you this, are you having any particular problems with your systems? Dropouts? Fuzzing? Or are you simply trying to neaten up your install?

Thanks.

I had issues with fuzzing and dropouts when all 5 systems had there antennas just in the back of the rack, so I went with a Shure DA that also helped neaten up the install very much.
Now, I am looking for a small set of antennas that will cover the band, and I can just connect to the front of the DA. I am only looking for around 80ft of range, anything above that, I use Shure Paddles on stage and feed my rack into the venues larger rack (that has around many receivers and DA's)

Before we go any further, have you coordinated your frequencies to avoid intermod products and local TV stations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back