Shure PGX Wireless Static

tcsta

I have a Shure PGX wireless headset system that just started acting up. I am using a Shure PGX transmitter and receiver, along with a Shure beta headset. I have 12 mics alltogether (6 on H band, 6 on J band).

The problem didn't start until halfway through our show. All of a sudden, there was horrible static noise whenever the mic was turned up. It sounded like extreme clothing noise rubbing against the mic head. The mic has never done this before, and didn't start until after intermission.

We checked the mic placement, and nothing was rubbing on the mic. All further testing was done after the show and was done with only the problem mic switched on. We switched mics, but the problem continued, so I have narrowed the problem down to the transmitter itself. We changed channels, but it did nothing. I took apart the transmitter to see if the antennae was disconnected, but it looked like everything was fine. Wiggling the antennae and mic connector doesn't help, so it doesn't seem to be a loose connection. I checked the connector pins on the transmitter, and all appeared to be in place and undamaged.

Any thoughts? Anything I might have missed? Help is greatly appreciated since we have 2 more shows this weekend!

maybe the actor got the head worn mic wet, and worried that they would have to pay for it didn't tell you. That is what i would check swap out the micrphone for a different one see if that solves the problem.

If it still continues i would contact shure about it they are generally pretty good about helping out with problems.

It sounds like your transmitter may have died.

Have you tried without a mic plugged in to the beltpack at all?
Confirm you are on channel and that hasn't been bumped.
You may need to change frequencies, there may be another transmitter of some description that's operating. Do your RF meters meter when your transmitter is off? If so you have a sure sign of interference.

You've tried the problematic transmitter on a different receiver?

If it's still unresolved, it's sounding like the transmitter might be due a visit to your nearest Shure authorised service centre...

However, if you send your current channels (and location information), one of us can run a check for intermods - PM is fine if you don't want to broadcast your location, I'd need a postal code...

Hope that helps narrow things down a little.

We switched mics, but the problem continued, so I have narrowed the problem down to the transmitter itself.

You've done a pretty good job of troubleshooting so far. But don't overlook the receiver, console channel, and the cable between. Take a known good transmitter and program it to the channel of the suspect receiver and see how it works. If the receiver is clean, then you will know it is the transmitter.

I have this issue with one of my PGX's with a WL93. From what I have seen it appears to be and issue where the contacts that the mic connects to are loose and don't connect properly. When the actor moves they bump the contact and causes a scratching, clicking sound. You can put tape on it as a temporary fix but I suggest sending the pack to Shure for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back