signs of a failing lamp powersupply

Beans45601

I have a Elation 575E wash that I received used a few years ago. Recently, during the run of a show, I was having trouble with the lamp striking. It would sometimes, sometimes it would not. I replaced the lamp (it was near the end of it's life) and now the unit will always strike, but then go out after about a minute of being on. Before the lamp extinguishes, I can hear a noise (similar to the high pitched squeal of a regular lamp striking) and goes in and out a few times, then the lamp goes out. If you had to guess, would you say this is the sign of a failing power supply, or possibly another issue?

Electronic or magnetic ballast? If it is magnetic (Heavy, transformer-like thing) it may be a failing PF cap. (can with two terminals.)

Electronic or magnetic ballast? If it is magnetic (Heavy, transformer-like thing) it may be a failing PF cap. (can with two terminals.)

It's electronic. I have a model number, but can't find it on the internet anywhere. It's a Schiederwerk KZG 8-7 BK

Photos of the bad lamp, and it's bi-pin contacts? Anything look other than chrome about the pins? First we do the easy in inspecting the lamp in that especially on the pins to it, if bad pins it's a bad lamp socket. On the lamp, my notes on lamp/fixture combination don't list your fixture, suspect that it's more or less an industry standard MSR 575/2 description? Arc gap between the electrodes should be 7mm in length and should not change much over the life of the lamp unless there was a substantial power supply issue. This could be a bad generator during a show, or bad ballast. Will be shown by a blobbing/melting down of the electrode tip and more especially in perhaps a bad ballast by a lack of bubbles in silver crusties of tungsten finding a new home inside the globe elsewhere.

Too much heat, bad ballast, wrong on-site power... long things to describe that Mark from Osram can better when inspecting a lamp. From my standpoint... really hard but think about how long that lamps's ben in use with say a bad ballast while still operating inefficiently. What sort of etching in halogen effect has the tungsten and other gasses been doing by way of pinch/globe digging a hole, or at the fill pinch making a hole if cooler? This for me as with amount of divitrification on the globe tells me a lot, as with measuring the arc gap and looking at the electrodes - are they blackened, lacking fresh bubbles or blobbed? Once the lamp fails - easier to trace where the cloud of gas is headed towards in finding the micro crack thru the glass. If under say 10 hours, doubtful if's from the manufactur of the lamp and instead inside the fixture or from someone touching the lamp which is easy to see if before it explodes.

Anyway, encourage all when meeting a rep from a lamp maker to get GE, Phillips, Ushio, Eiko etc. lamp vendor experts on the website also. When Mark from Osram is busy, perhaps someone from Ushio or another Dr.Bulb' could field the question better than me in best advice.

Last edited:
Hey now, let's get out of this habit of thinking it's always the lamp. I'd say at least 50-60% of all "lamp" quality issues we get claims on are NOT lamp related. Other things go wrong too. :) honestly it sounds like it's a bad ignitor, especially if it's happening on a new lamp. But certainly do what Ship says and check the power going into the fiture and also from the ballast to the lamp ignitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back