Single vs Dual Channel Beltpacks

AlexDonkle

Just curious for what other's people experience has been with single vs dual channel intercom beltpack systems (aka Clear-Com 601 vs. 602/603). I've heard people mention it's always "best practice" to just design new theatres for dual channel beltpacks for more flexibility, which makes sense, but at the same time any time I've worked in a theatre with multi-channel beltpacks I've always ended up just turning down 1 of the 2 channels and using it as a single-channel beltpack. Stage manager obviously using all the channels available, but no one else really does.

Anyone else have similar/different experience?

That's how I've always used them. If there is a need for two channels, usually only the SM needs to communicate with both.

It just depends on the size of productions using the comm system. For large scale shows I've seen Lighting Designers need, and throughly use all 4 channels of a MS-704 during tech. When there are 4 Spot Ops they need two channels for running a show so that they can hear the stage manager and take cues with each other without stepping on the SM channel. I've been doing a lot of live television recently that uses RTS exclusively, and the set-up is dual channel pack for everybody(BP-325). It boils down to a public channel and a single department private channel assigned at a patchbay. Which is a requirement when there are 35+ people on the same comm system. If the maximum a show will have is 10, then single channel is all that is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back