Vintage Lighting Small Detail about Chicago Stage Lighting PC Fixture

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Forget most details of my first Chicago Stage Lighting 6" PC as it was a few years ago - about time for re-working past concepts now. Neither have reflectors. This current one doesn't have an option for a reflector. TBA in me pulling the first one down from the grid to see what I didn't note before. It's a very different fixture though, perhaps later.

Detail though on the second one which is specifically a 1000 series 1002-1014 dependant on what lamp was supplied. Page 6-7 of The Chicago Stage Lighting Catalogue on this website's Wikee.

IWorking on it now, even a switch and base to it as per the catalogue drawing. Pipe is gone but I do have the stand fittings in surplus in making it whole. Focus knob on the one I'm working on is slightly different in perhaps being an earlier model than the catalogue, but mostly the same otherwise.

Detail about at least the 1911 version is that the lamp socket assembly/focus assembly was made by Benjamin Lighting.

Their pattent #8-80-04 7-10-06 5-7-12 and 12-24-12. Rated for 1,500 Watts at 600v. Not sure on other than in accurate numbers what that info means for pattent or dating - know the theatre opened later in 1911, but CSL wasn't making this fixture's lamp socket for what was removed.

Curious CSL buying from Benjamin Lighting lamp sockets, that with other address of CSL later becoming other lighting companies before presented. Different Chicago address Benjamin Electric Manufacturing Company, 120 South Sangamon Street, Chicago verses Chicago Stage Lighting Company, 55 West Wacker Drive, Chicago and later Midwest Stage Lighting Company, 55 West Wacker Drive, Chicago as of like 1954. Have two Benjamin Electric Company Olivalittes in the works at the moment also. Seems both companies were supplying fixtures in 1911 at least in this theater buying from both companies.

Kind of like a mystery of Major Equipment Company in casting earlier for the exact lights - either not casted for brand or by Madelite as a brand. Clearly the same castings just different makers and extent of name plate info further on them. All in Chicago Major Equipment Company, 4603-19 Fullerton Ave. Chicago during the really electric lighting period.

No answers yet, just further info on history to date.

Too bad the Scooby Doo mystery hunt crew is now gone - Miss Wolfee on the forum, but I'm not sure how much any of us can do for 100+ year old gear in research other than note details of what we find. Thus the importance of me posting.

Fascinating this link just made but turned out not related:
http://antiquesockets.com/lighting-timetable5.html
and
http://benjaminelectric.com/contact.htm

Contacted them, still interesting source for parts in leaving it listed. Back to the search.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back