So, which desk is mine?

blackhat

Greetings all!! Literally stumbled across these boards while looking for formulas for angling a rather *steep* gobo for a sign, and decided "Hey, this actually looks useful!"

I'm a technical Director and stage manager with over 12 years experience in corporate, university and non-profit theater (translation: I've been screwed too with the economic blow-up). I currently work for a major University in Arizona as a Theatrical Technician, and I'm also the Resident Technical Director of Soul Invictus Theater in Phoenix, AZ (just got that bit last month). I've done everything from skeevy renfaire crap, to shopping mall chain event management and a whole host of community and equity theater productions on the tech side, and I've even made some room for acting in both stage and film productions!

I suppose I'm most interested in actually getting networked because our theater (the non-profit one) is in dire need of a boost since the founder has been run ragged doing everything himself, and it's such an awesome space and a refreshing change from alot of what has been going on in the valley that I am pretty driven to make improvements where I can! And of course, do it on the very cheap because this is about as "indie" as it gets for theater kids. So indie that my first technical project is.... cooling the space! (when it's "nicer" in the theater at 100 degrees, and your actor's green room is OUTSIDE under a tarp at the back of the venue, you know you've got a project on your hands).

So, expect to have crazy design ideas for lighting trusses, unique design ideas and other random cost saving but very complex build efforts thrown your way guys, because while I like to think I'm good at my job, this is a challenge: Starting from near scratch with no budget :p

Oh, and the name?

Comes from doing corporate gigs where I learned that it's crucial that on the job, crew could spot you from a mile away while still looking professional. My solution? A black Kangol cap. Been wearing it for 12 years (well, not the exact same one. We're on version 4.0) and it pretty much is an extension of my skull now.

Greetings blackhat (quality handle). Check out the search function for a start on some of your questions. Tons of good reading! PS-liked the post on tech uniforms :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back