Software based lighting control

TNasty

So I've been wanting to get a basic computerized lighting system set up in my school's auditorium to "replace" the existing Express board. Reason being is to offer some better control options and some more patchable channels to accommodate some new/used intelligent fixtures that the crew and I will be purchasing as a gift for the school.
I put replace in the quotes because I'd love to keep it integrated as a functional part of the system. Mostly to act as a control/fader wing for the software on the computer and to provide an interface that's practical for slightly less experienced users and shorter performances and events (such as theatre class works).

I'm currently under the impression that Freestyler does not work nicely with DMX inputs. Is there some other program that'll be able to "Mirror" the DMX signal from the input dongle, through the software, into the corresponding output dongle? I'd prefer if the software is compatible with the Enttec Open DMX dongle, since I've got one laying around that I made using one of those FTDI485 boards.

I'm also working on making a light show for the school talent show later this year, so if my idea isn't possible, I'd still love some suggestions for software.

I'm a big fan of the Martin M-PC, great software, very easy to learn. Lots of YouTube tutorials out there. It works with Enttec boxes for one universe. You can get up to 4 via ArtNet for free.

Have you tried applying for a grant through ETC? http://www.etcconnect.com/About/About-ETC/Philanthropy.aspx

I would recommend ETC since its a school, than your students can move on to a ton of other venues out there and be familiar with how the system works rather than having to learn a whole new system. Unfortunately the ETC system does require an ETC device such as a console or an ETC Gadget to work.

With my Enttec dmx i used to use it with Showmagic, however the new version of Show Cue Systems does dmx so I can just use the Enttec and SCS. it makes for an incredibly portable rig.

Showmagic is a pretty good but basic software.
Chamsys MagicQ is free and works on the Enttec, although this has a pretty steep learning curve in my opinion.
Dazlight and Culux i think are also free and fairly easy but aren't necessarily a cue based system.

But I'm with @soundlight Martin may be your best option if your set on using the Enttec, as most of the other players require a piece of their own hardware somewhere in the system for the software to be able to output any signal.
You could also go Avolite or Vista but they're pretty expensive by comparison

Have you tried applying for a grant through ETC? http://www.etcconnect.com/About/About-ETC/Philanthropy.aspx

I would recommend ETC since its a school, than your students can move on to a ton of other venues out there and be familiar with how the system works rather than having to learn a whole new system. Unfortunately the ETC system does require an ETC device such as a console or an ETC Gadget to work.

With my Enttec dmx i used to use it with Showmagic, however the new version of Show Cue Systems does dmx so I can just use the Enttec and SCS. it makes for an incredibly portable rig.

Showmagic is a pretty good but basic software.
Chamsys MagicQ is free and works on the Enttec, although this has a pretty steep learning curve in my opinion.
Dazlight and Culux i think are also free and fairly easy but aren't necessarily a cue based system.

But I'm with @soundlight Martin may be your best option if your set on using the Enttec, as most of the other players require a piece of their own hardware somewhere in the system for the software to be able to output any signal.
You could also go Avolite or Vista but they're pretty expensive by comparison

You can use the Ethernet Enttec with ETC Nomad, you don't have to use the ETC Gadget. Gadget is only required if you want to output via USB.
Nomad supports both sACN and Artnet devices.

You can use the Ethernet Enttec with ETC Nomad, you don't have to use the ETC Gadget. Gadget is only required if you want to output via USB.
Nomad supports both sACN and Artnet devices.

Interesting, and that works with just the dongle version? I'll have to check that out. I've been wanting to do a 2 screen version of the nomad for a while now, for a more portable solution than my ION with wings, for some of the smaller plays I do, but I didn't want to get another piece of hardware on the console end like the puck, or a fader wing.

Interesting, and that works with just the dongle version? I'll have to check that out. I've been wanting to do a 2 screen version of the nomad for a while now, for a more portable solution than my ION with wings, for some of the smaller plays I do, but I didn't want to get another piece of hardware on the console end like the puck, or a fader wing.
Yes all you need is the dongle for that to work. Ive used this in a few venues, a great solution to get nomad working on a smaller budget.

If you or a student want to purchase a nomad I recommend this https://www.etcconnect.com/Student-Package/ . I have a nomad that I use extensively and I think that, assuming you do not need more than 512 addresses of control, this may be the most user friendly solution to your problem. It comes with the dongle and the gadget, all you need is a computer. I would also recommend a touchscreen and an Xkeys down the road if you can afford them. They are not necessary for it to function but they do make it easier and once you have the xkeys setup, the location of keys can be very similar to that of an ion which helps prepare students to program on an actual console.

(As a side note I actually use a different brand of programmable keyboard not xKeys but i use it as a Kleenex term, any programmable keyboard will work the same.)

Oh one thing that I just realized has not been really mentioned.... Before you dedicate...

You can try them for FREE, you can check out nomad, MA on PC, Martin Mpc, etc all for free on your computer to try it out without lights to get a feel for the interface before you bother buying ANY hardware or paying for any licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back