Software feedback and DMX to Multiplex question.

Samuel

Hello Folks,
I run a small 386 capacity theater and arts venue in Idaho. We recently purchased 16 new intelligent lights for our back rig.
The new lights take a total of of 112 channels of DMX and our current console a Leviton MC 7524 has only 48 channels available. We are thinking that we will move towards software based control of our lighting using the following gear.
Elation Emulation DMX Software/Hardware Lighting
Elation MIDIcon Lighting Midi Controller for DMX Software Programs
Leviton N0501-2 Protocol Converter and Auto Sequence Control Device, MPX/DMX to CMX
My question is twofold.
1.) Does anyone have experience with the Elation software? Do you like it? We do full theatrical productions and rock concerts so it needs to be able to accomplish both requirements and be a fairly familiar and intuitive interface for traveling Light Techs.
2.) Is the Leviton NO501-2 capable of outputting DMX and MPX at the same time? It seems from the specs that it is. We currently have 20 some DMX fixtures , two DMX dimmer packs and 10 MPX dimmer packs and I want to be sure that Leviton Protocol Converter will be able to run both types of fixtures at the same time.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Best,
Samuel

Just a thought - if for some reason you are not able to upgrade your control systems, you could always group some of the intels together if it makes sense. For example, if you have a cyc or led backlight wash, you could group them in pairs or quads and set them to the same address if need be so that you'll cut your needed DMX channels down. However if you have movers or something like that, it's not too helpful.

I've never used the Elation software but from the looks of it, it seems to be a solid choice. I suggest shopping around a little, PC-based lighting controls ranges from free bare-bones programs to more expensive options like MA Lighting and ETC's software.

Take a look at some other options as well:
Chamsys software + USB wings.
Martin M-2PC
GrandMA OnPC
Hell, even the Hog4 NanoHog will be better use than the Elation software.
All of these are going to be much more familiar to any road tech, and much more conducive as well as faster to program for Rock and Roll and theatrical cueing styles. Enttec also makes a line of USB wings compatible with the Chamsys Software

Is there a reason why you want to go with a software solution rather than a desk?

Also, the Elation USB to DMX cable uses the PC to create its DMX timings. If there is any little hiccup on the PC, then there could very well be a hiccup with your lighting rig. It would be a much safer bet to use a DMX Node.
DMXking makes cheap and affordable DMX nodes that can convert both sACN and Art-Net out of your PC's network card to DMX.

Reactions: Les
Just to clarify on this one, ChamSys MagicQ software supports the Enttec Pro Mk1 USB-DMX interface only.
Enttec wings will not work with the MagicQ software.

If you're interested in looking into the MagicQ Lighting control software do let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
Our full interfaces start at $100 for our unlimited USB-DMX interace, then moving upwards with wings and other hardware.

Regards,

James

A client bought the Elation software against our recommendation. They have regretted it ever since. FWIW The senior tech was Express trained.

Also, the Elation USB to DMX cable uses the PC to create its DMX timings. If there is any little hiccup on the PC, then there could very well be a hiccup with your lighting rig. It would be a much safer bet to use a DMX Node.
DMXking makes cheap and affordable DMX nodes that can convert both sACN and Art-Net out of your PC's network card to DMX.

If you decide that USB to DMX is the right route, get one that has a microcontroller to create the DMX signal such as the Entec "Pro" or the DMXKing line. These cost about the same as the ChamSys MagicDMX Pro dongle and provide the same function with MagicQ, but they can also be used with other software so you are free to try other options. The cheapest option to get DMX out of a comptuer that I know of is ChamSys's MagicDMX Basic - but it must be reset after 5 hours of use; I'm pretty sure that ChamSys is selling these very close to their costs as a cheap way for people to try their software before purchasing their control hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back