Some fun rigging.....

egilson1

Senior Team
Senior Team
CB Mods
Premium Member
ETCP Certified Technicians
Some days you work on a project you would have done for free because it's so AWESOME! Very thankful to be part of the team moving the Mercury-Redstone 3 Capsule named "Freedom 7" from the JFK Presidential Library. Sitting on top of a Redstone Rocket (repurposed from it's use from ballistic missiles) this capsule carried Astronaut Alan Sheppard 116.5 miles above the surface of the earth, the first United States human spaceflight.
IMG_1684.jpg

The Capsule on it's display stand.

IMG_1685.jpg

The top. The two empty spaces are where the parachutes pack.

IMG_1692.jpg

It's a tight fit in there.

IMG_1691.jpg

We used a 10k "Lull" as a rigging point and then used manual chain falls to slowly, oh so slowly, lift the capsule from it's display stand. the chain falls allowed us to move in fractions of an inch vs inches with the Lull.

IMG_1694.jpg

The capsule is now in it's traveling stand.

IMG_1697.jpg

"Does it fit". Yes. it fits. just.

IMG_1698.jpg

See! It fits!

I'm betting it's heading to Hutchinson Kansas if there's restoration in store
They did work on Apollo 13, and Grissom's capsule after it was recovered from the drink after 38 years underwater.
They have also made replicas for multiple film shoots.

Wichita area had so much aerospace industry, it makes sense when you think about it. Unique skill set.
But you wouldn't normally expect a world class museum in Hutchinson Kansas if you didn't know

@egilson1, this is insanely cool. And I bet the pay was better than the $10/hr that SpaceX is offering for moving rockets.
I have a question about the use of the reach fork. Mind if I message you?

@egilson1, this is insanely cool. And I bet the pay was better than the $10/hr that SpaceX is offering for moving rockets.
I have a question about the use of the reach fork. Mind if I message you?
Please do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back