Sound Check

I was trying to find a single song or group of single songs that would make a great sound check. I saw the post about the extras CD and downloaded that but it doesn't get the range I'm looking for.
As a little back ground I have to start a song on loop in QLab and auto follow it through all 14 speakers, 6 of them like to lose the tweeter at the drop of a hat. The "booth" is a almost sound tight room one floor above the stage so I cant stay there (I cant even see the stage much less hear whats going on on it). I tried to rotate tones but it works for this speaker and not that one so it than starts getting complicated to program. I'm still kinda new one the engineering side of sound mainly focusing on A2/Mic Tech duties. I know what to listen for but haven't honed picking input to test the output.
Anything helps. Thanks in advanced.

I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. Are you tuning a FOH rig or troubleshooting speaker components or what? For room tuning I typically put on something that I am very familiar with, something with lots of range (frequencies and dynamics). For more advanced tuning/aligning pink noise is a good thing and can work for troubleshooting components too (make sure your crossover is doing its job first).

Its just the basic daily make sure every speakers working. The space is not secure at all so things can change on a daily basis. I understand needing a song that has clear range in frequencies and dynamics with out any distortion. I guess some of what I'm looking for is "this is what I use" so I can listen to it and get the sound in my head so I can pick something of my own based on a similar sound. I do fairly well at this is what you need to listen and look for and than opening up on that.

Something else that you are very familiar with is your voice. Grab a wireless mic and walk around. Is everything working? Does it sound like you? Great. However, your voice doesn't have a huge frequency range, so music or pink noise may still be your best bet. I could tell you my favorite songs, but I really don't know why you want to listen to my music when you could be listening to music you enjoy. It's really not that hard: What's on your iPod? Play it...

Something else that you are very familiar with is your voice. Grab a wireless mic and walk around. Is everything working? Does it sound like you? Great. However, your voice doesn't have a huge frequency range, so music or pink noise may still be your best bet. I could tell you my favorite songs, but I really don't know why you want to listen to my music when you could be listening to music you enjoy. It's really not that hard: What's on your iPod? Play it...
Blech... this wouldn't work for me. I hate hearing my own voice :p

!~

I play back

Enter the Sand Man ~ Metallica
Follow the Lady ~ Carbon Leaf
Man in the Mirror ~ Micheal Jackson
Unafraid to Find ~ Michelle Armstrong (independent artist)
Boom Boom Pow ~ Blackeyed Peas
Don't Stop Believing ~ Journey
Carry on my Wayward Son ~ Kansad
O' Fortuna ~ Carl Orff (Carmina Burana)

These are songs i really like that i can listen on loopm. They have different genres and I'm familiar with how i "think" they should sound. To each their own

I can still do it... it's just that I prefer to listen to things other than my voice.

Mayhaps you should consider mixing monitors? You'll get plenty of "not hearing myself" with that position (well, I guess it depends how good or bad you are at it or how deaf the performers are). :lol:

IMO what you use should be something you are very familiar with to how it sounds so you can make your adjustments...but a few tips from my experience:

Depending on the gig and the music you will be mixing--select a tune in that genre of music. i.e. if you are mixing jazz--use a jazz song...if you are mixing a religious revival or christian rock--use a religious or christian rock song...if you are mixing metal or rock--rock song...if you are mixing something with a choir in the background--pick something with a choir in it.. If you are mixing country--play a country tune..all should be things you know well. This does a couple of things--helps you adjust to the style of music you will be mixing and second--doesn't piss off as much whomeever may be nearby when you push some high db levels. Ever try and use AC/DC or some other 'satanic' rock music when tuning for a religious or church concert--talk about gripes from the folks you will get..who then think you are a 'rock & roll' punk who doesn't understand or care about their show and they then already pre-determine the sound is going to be awful no matter what you do..all cause you played Ozzy, AC/DC or Black Sabbath or something to them was 'inappropriate' to the pending show... Plus if you play the wrong music at a country concert--you can get shot..:)

FWIW I also use 'Binks CD' for testing...the bass warbles, pink and white noise and the clicks and panning is invaluable for delays and balance. I carry that plus I also have a wide selection of tunes for a variety of different genre's of music as I noted above. I look for music that was recorded well and in good quality or remastered for digital (no 'recorded live' cuts or those $5.99 for 20 CD deals on TV infomercials). I am also a fan of using movie soundtrack & original score music...as a lot of it is recorded very very well, intended for the movie and theater sound systems. Exceptions to this are movies which use 'cuts' from oldies that were not remastered etc...you can hear the difference that it was just lifted and dropped into the soundtrack.

A basic set of music Cd's I have typically have Pink Floyd - The Wall (amazing recording); the Eagles & Styx CD's too...reason being is some of those recordings from 20-30 years ago were done with such incredible detail in analogue techniques that were preserved in the remasterings that you get a wide range of aspects to listen for. Additionally a lot of Michael Jacksons stuff is also great to use. I also use Mariah Carey and other remixes of 'oldies' and many other select ones.. For Jazz I have some amazing Eva Cassidy recordings and some Brandford Marsalis stuff...for christian/religious I have some Patti LaBelle and some movie sound tracks (an old Steve Martin flick called Leap Of Faith is a great one I use for the first 3 cuts only); I also use Empire of the Sun and a few others... For theater musicals and shows--I have some broadway shows soundtracks.. For country I have a few Garth Brooks Clint Black and others...

For me its choosing something that fits the show--so I adjust the system to the music style...and since I like most music styles (except Rap) its usually not a hard choice when I'm called to mix a show...

There is no 'set' way to do this--that is just what I do...

-w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back