Mixers/Consoles Soundcraft fx16 with right side dead

bruno007

Working a musical theatre production for community theatre. I have a soundcraft fx16 and there is very little to nothing coming out the right side of the board. When I turn the pan knob to right there is nothing, but good to left. It's a sandwich stage which means half the house is getting nothing. Thinking about putting a splitter on the one good side to send to the amps two inputs. Any other suggestions or buttons I may have pushed out of wack?
Thanks
Bruno

The most common failure points in mixers are the ribbon connectors, followed by broken solder joints on circuit board mounted connectors. Take the bottom of, then unplug and replug any connectors that you see inside. Then look at all the solder joints with a magnifying glass.

Confirm the fault is actually in the console, swap L&R output connectors. It's possible that your fault is downstream and so the console might be fine...

Ribbon cables are notorious for failing, particularly in things that are vibration prone.

Once you have isolated the fault, then we can better fix it. Things like if it is the console at fault, does the signal show up on both master meters?

I swapped them and it is in the right mix out. I do get lights on both sides of the meter on the board, but not in the amp. My bandaid for tonight is to put a splitter after the EQ of the side that works and split it into the A&B of the amp. Show closes tonite, then we can have it looked at.

From memory the FX range uses individual cards and so if it's onto the master meter then it's reaching the master card and is unlikely to be a fault in the main ribbon. Chances are it could be a dry joint somewhere on that card, your best bet would probably lie in reflowing the whole card...

Also is a mod wanders by, could we have the thread name changed to right side dead, it keeps confusing me...

Ended up patching the 1/4 'in' in the left EQ to the 1/4 out in the right EQ. Seems to work for now, but it's off to the shop for the board.
Thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back