Source 4 Followspot Dimmer

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for more robust and flexible solutions for dimming Source 4 Followspots. Right now I've got a couple of wall dimmers that we attach to the city theatrical yoke. They do the job well enough, but I find the fader travel is a bit small for longer smooth fades and they are relatively easy to break.

Things that I would like:

• At least 1.2K dimmer
  • A decent sized fader
  • Instant on/off switch
  • DMX control in case we want to control fades with the console for a show
The closest I've found is this which does not have the switch, and being ADJ, I'm reluctant to call "robust". What solutions have you all come up with?

Also, I'm well aware that I might be over thinking this, so there's really no reason to bring that up.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for more robust and flexible solutions for dimming Source 4 Followspots. Right now I've got a couple of wall dimmers that we attach to the city theatrical yoke. They do the job well enough, but I find the fader travel is a bit small for longer smooth fades and they are relatively easy to break.

Things that I would like:

• At least 1.2K dimmer
  • A decent sized fader
  • Instant on/off switch
  • DMX control in case we want to control fades with the console for a show
The closest I've found is this which does not have the switch, and being ADJ, I'm reluctant to call "robust". What solutions have you all come up with?

Also, I'm well aware that I might be over thinking this, so there's really no reason to bring that up.

Thanks!
In the low budget days of my youth we used to use Superior Electric's variac autotransformer dimmers. No DMX control but good on all other counts. Nice large rotary knob to smoothly fade. We added adhesive rubber feet to feel with our fingertips allowing for preset levels other than full and zero. Had an 'on/off' toggle but we found it quieter and more convenient to fade quickly to zero when required. I concur with your assessment of ADJ.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Try going in the opposite direction, and get a single-channel DMX controller. (Doug Fleenor makes the Apathy, which has a nice rotary knob: http://www.dfd.com/ap.html ) If you have a DMX Input Node, you can use this to control just one dimmer, and assign it a lower priority than your main console.

Elation also makes some small format consoles that use faders rather than knobs, but I don't think they have a single-channel one.

Last edited:
That little ADJ dimmer will probably do the trick. Are you running at 575 or 750 watts? Reason I ask is they "rate" the ADJ dimmer at 10 amps. That's usually a red flag for me as they are not saying 1.2Kw. What I've found is those packs usually have a 16 amp Triac in them, which is a little under-powered for switching a 1Kw load. At 575 you are safe, 750 you want to avoid flipping it to full when the lamp is cold. I've had a few of these and always end up changing the Triacs to 25 amps, which is far more robust.

I think the stock Triac is a BTA16-600B (16 amp) and the upgrade is a BTA24-600B which is physically identical but is 25 amps.

Last edited:
The etc es750 would be a great solution but by the time you add a DMX controller - I don't believe anything built in - it's going to be pricey. But it is ideal.

Nice little products. Being in New Zealand we see a few of them around. Have a client in our space at the moment with two of these running Pacifics with 5-13° barrels as followspots.

Sometimes see them come in from the hire shops with with a Phillips/Strand single channel dimmer that takes DMX in as well as a physical fader operating HTP. I'm unsure if they exist in US appropriate form though.

We've got a couple of the ADJ dimmers mentioned and never had a problem with them. Our main use of one is for the house lights. We can dmx dim and yet have that remote slider in the booth in case we need to bring the house up without the computer. Been working fine for 6 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back