Conventional Fixtures SourceFour PAR Lens Storage Methods

Ok,

First, I'll get back to you on the aluminum casing question. I need to check a few things.

I have no idea which one doesn't rust? I guess whichever ones were all aluminum construction?

Berkley was the glossy metallic blue color. At least thats what I've always seen on Berkley-Colotran fixtures.

Last place I worked that had a lot of S4 Par built some boxes and lined the bottom and sides with foam. With the foam, the dimensions were such that the lenses fit very snugly. IIRC, the height of the box was 2 - 3" higher than the lenses.

Our use is in a venue so I don't have to worry about how to transport lenses. I just kept the boxes the lenses came in & use them for storage. I did re-sort them with like lenses in each box marked with by type, that way I don't have to fumble through four lenses to find the one I need (which would always be on the bottom or next to bottom in the stack).

Source 4 Par Lens Storage

Does anyone have a suggestion on storage for our 3-4 dozen Par lenses? We are always changing our lenses out and they live in cardboard boxes that are falling apart and I am worried they are going to break. Its all disheveled. ANy suggestions? Besides getting parnels..

--Bri

Re: Source 4 Par Lens Storage

Does anyone have a suggestion on storage for our 3-4 dozen Par lenses? We are always changing our lenses out and they live in cardboard boxes that are falling apart and I am worried they are going to break. Its all disheveled. ANy suggestions? Besides getting parnels..

--Bri

We use something like these:
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-p/lid-stacking-nesting-container-414400.jpg

In our case we use one bin per lens type in each building (we have two venues...each has about 100 S4 PARs). Between lenses we use paper towels or those thin foam sheets that come with new lenses.

Parnels are NOT the same.

--Sean

--Bri

I searched all over the Brooklyn and Queens, NY area, for a rolling dish storage cart, used. Found zip, and the new ones are pricey.

Finally and as interim (3 years later) I lined the inside of a bunch of milk crates with the blue packing foam ETC ships stuff in and made 2 bins per crate. Ea. crate holds about 20 lenses on ea. side ?, roughly. I saved all the foam the lens set shipped with as spacers.

Works fine and was cheap, though they crates only move as far as a the stage from a storage room 20 ft away.

We use standard plastic tool boxes and take out the removable shelf thing inside. Each box has a different lens and the foam they are packed in to separate each lens. Easy to pull out the entire box of Wide, Very Narrow, etc lens and change once the lights are hung on the batten and easy to work with.

Hey Bri,

Most people I know on the venue side that have more than a few Source Four Pars build themselves a nice custom box/tray with four smaller sections to hold each different lens type. It seems that must of them use the small pieces of foam that ship in the lens box between each piece..

On the rental side I have seen all kinds of setups. Some have the nice custom built box/tray that just stay on the shelf. Some have custom built box/trays that can live on the shelf and then just stack right into the top of the instrument cases for easy shipping. Some just keep them in the original boxes.

If I am changing lenses on a regular basis I want them easily accessible. Getting them in and out of the orginal box is a PITA.

... But in if no better idea comes along, heres a link for some NEW boxes 6 x 6 x 4" Corrugated Boxes S-4061 - Uline
Umm, wouldn't that be a problem? Are S4-PAR lenses not 7" in diameter?

I just keep "repairing" the ETC cartons with g-tape. Some now have seemingly more tape than cardboard.

Had a show once come through with one of each type of spare lens for every fixture. It was a 12-way Leko box, 3/4 full.
proxy.php

R&R Cases - Lighting Fixtures ETC Source Four Leko Cases
IIRC, we didn't change a single lens!

Check this and other case manufacturers for good ideas.
proxy.php

R&R Cases - Lighting Fixtures ETC Source Four Par Cases

I searched all over the Brooklyn and Queens, NY area, for a rolling dish storage cart, used. Found zip, and the new ones are pricey.

I also found that. Way over budget for such carts and none resale I could find. Heard of its use before but don't know who or how they got the.

Over they years my shop did further refinements of it's road boxes for lens storage (not quite as extensive as above in space between lenses - more still the stacked lens concept divided with the 1/4" foam but similar in concept) and this past month re-built the 4x4 lens cart in it breaking down under weight on the drawers. Survived a few years well enough to be time. More the bin concepts than slots for them as different though the above is really sexy. (Don't send such stuff to my wife or she will want an upgrade and get really frustrated in lack of immediate doing so. She has enough problems with getting more lamp bar carts built without another frustration added to it.)

The pie tin with butterfly latch concept we never took back up. For the most part it's still the ETC lens boxes in use for shows - but luckily enough for us we have sufficient turn around that there is always a fresh box to replace a bad one. On the other hand at some points I do remember taking a PAR 64 lamp box and cutting than putting the cuts into a bench vise so as to induce a fold at a different location when short. Works well enough in using a similar sized box for something else once you induce a fold to it.

Another idea might just be to get replacement lens kit boxes from ETC. Moisture/rained on boxes mosty don't see probably won't be a problem for most in simple wear. One simple wear solution one could use I found useful for my clip light foamed in lamp boxes was to simply duct tape the heck out of them in making a vinyl coating for them. Clear tape say for lamp boxes that don't hold up so well etc. in a few minutes with a tape gun otherwise in making them last longer. Hmm. Philips just changed the printing on their MSR 300/2 Fast Fit lamp boxes... Not better quality and if it gets wet you will get mold spores forming on it - if it don't fall apart first, but gee these are almost as decorative as their former naked lady lamp boxes for the HPA line. (Kind of boring now white boxes. Nothing to inspire a tech person to change a lamp.) Got their new lamp boxes in and after we wrote serial numbers on the lamps matching those written on the box, we clear packaging taped up the boxes so they would survive use. Taping up a box does wonders for how long it lasts unless crushed when cardboard. Cheap solution perhaps.

P.S. also use hundreds of the above tubs form spares from tape measures to lamps. A 12" tub can store six gallons of DF-50 fluid safely, a dozen 100' tape measur etc. in having a few sizes of the tubs. This in even foaming out some of them for storage of A-19 lamps for transport. Totally useful tubs from bolts to computer monitors.[/quote]

Last edited:
Source Four PAR lens storage

Has anyone come across any ingenious/safe/pretty/efficient ways to store Source Four PAR lenses that aren't being used? In every theatre I've been in, it's been stacks of them in cardboard boxes, with foam in between each. I'm looking for something more permanent and organized. Any suggestions?

Re: Source Four PAR lens storage

I've used a four drawer filing cabinet with the lenses stacked with foam inbetween them. I've been told the boxes used for moving/storing dinner plates work well.

I was browsing the Apollo outlet as I do occasionally and found these nice little boxes that are just the right size for putting a source four par lenses into. I put some foam padding in the bottom and then put the foam that comes with the lenses between each one. I got 12 lenses in each box with room for more. Then I just stuff some more foam in the top to keep everything from moving around if the boxes get flipped over or bounced around. It's not a great solution if you have tons of pars, but I think it will for those of us with smaller numbers of instruments.

http://www.apollooutlet.com/black-box-semiconductor-wafer-box-with-cassett-insert.html

proxy.php

Glad you like them!
Let's see... you bought 4. That leaves.... 396 available! Get 'em while you can guys!!!
They could still work well for people with large numbers of pars. Just put one type of lens per box and label accordingly.
They are designed to stack, but I wouldn't stack them more than a few high. They are quite durable. I dropped several from a few feet up when I was counting them and they just bounced across the concrete floor. I would definitely avoid dropping them if they are full of lenses though. They may crack if they have some decent weight like that in them.

Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a storage solution and was almost ready to build something. I'll be ordering a few very soon. (but not 396!)

Alright guys, we just bought a bunch more source four pars and our lens storage shelf is much less of a viable option. Does anyone have a good idea for storage options, aside from keeping them in their cardboard boxes or just sitting on a shelf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back