speaker comparison

which is better

• Total voters
i am a pro dj and i also have friends who have just entered the dj business. we having been fighting for days over who has better speakers. what do you think. i have yamaha s115v's and the have peavey pv215. i like the quality of my yamaha's and want to shoot them down. thanks

Remember the internet is just as public as anything else. This is not a professional way to go about this situation. While you may find you like yours better than your friends, It doesn't really mater. Speakers are per-space kind of situation. While some speakers work in certain spaces others do not.

Remember the internet is just as public as anything else. This is not a professional way to go about this situation. While you may find you like yours better than your friends, It doesn't really mater. Speakers are per-space kind of situation. While some speakers work in certain spaces others do not.

You are correct to an extent. Some speakers are just junk to begin with. Most people can't tell the difference between speakers though. IE most people think Bose and Polk Audio sound exactly the same... which is far from true

Not to mention, what is the OPs definition of better? I may say Mac is better then PC, but DuckJordan probably doesn't agree with me on that.

Not to mention, what is the OPs definition of better? I may say Mac is better then PC, but DuckJordan probably doesn't agree with me on that.

Not neccesarrily, the mac does some things very well just as the pc does other things very well. They each have their place just like the aforementioned speakers.

(see what I did there:cool:)

... we having been fighting for days over who has better speakers. what do you think. ...
I think it's akin to arguing which is "better," the Kia Rio or the Hyundai Accent. A professional driver will tell you they both suck, but (s)he can make either one perform to suit the situation.

I think it's akin to arguing which is "better," the Kia Rio or the Hyundai Accent. A professional driver will tell you they both suck, but (s)he can make either one perform to suit the situation.

This is actually a better example than (I assume) you intended. To the average person, a Kia/Hyundai (same parent company: Hyundai) is fuel efficient, reliable, and a top safety choice; but to a race driver, that same car doesn't offer the power or aerodynamics in which he/she requires.

It's just like asking CB which speakers are better. Some may be partial, but most members can't answer the question without knowing more information. (as previously mentioned)

A better way to phrase the question would be something along the lines of... "Both my friend and I are DJs. He has X speakers and I have Y speakers. Both of us have the same mixer, amps, etc (this can be a huge factor for sound quality). Which speakers ... [are better for vocals], [can produce the lowest frequency], [have the best response rate], [have the most clarity], [can reproduce mids/highs,lows the most accurately], [etc].

**For the record, I hate when I think I ask a simple question and people go off on a tangent similar to what has happened here. (not necessarily on CB) However, the question is vague and I'm unable to answer it. In a theatre I would prefer Polk Audio over Bose because from my experience I have found Polk to outperform Bose 10 out of 10 times when it comes to creating the overall better sound for musicals, concerts, and plays; but others may not agree with me based on the acoustical structure of the theatres/concert halls they have ran sound and EQ'd in.

How the two compare in sound is purely subjective. However, if I had to lift, store, or haul them, I'd give the nod to the Yamaha. :)

i am a pro dj and i also have friends who have just entered the dj business. we having been fighting for days over who has better speakers. what do you think. i have yamaha s115v's and the have peavey pv215. i like the quality of my yamaha's and want to shoot them down. thanks

I'm sure they both perform great when set on fire, which I truly see no other reason to own them if you are not going to use them for kindling.

Nothing says "quality" like a speaker covered in carpet.

Last edited:
<tangent>
In a theatre I would prefer Polk Audio over Bose because from my experience I have found Polk to outperform Bose 10 out of 10 times when it comes to creating the overall better sound for musicals, concerts, and plays

BOSE: Bring Other Sound Equipment

I'm sure they both perform great when set on fire, which I truly see no other reason to own them if you are not going to use them for kindling.

Nothing says "quality" like a speaker covered in carpet.

How about a speaker covered in a flameproof carpet?
</tangent>

I'm actually gonna defend Bose here, we have their panaray system at my old high school, and while not perfect it did sound great for music and instruments. Vocal not so much but we also had a cluster set aside just for vocals. As to footers comment of Carpet Covered speakers. Remember this is DJ gear and not theater gear. Quite a few brides I know think that the carpet looks better than plastic.

I'm actually gonna defend Bose here, we have their panaray system at my old high school, and while not perfect it did sound great for music and instruments. Vocal not so much but we also had a cluster set aside just for vocals. As to footers comment of Carpet Covered speakers. Remember this is DJ gear and not theater gear. Quite a few brides I know think that the carpet looks better than plastic.

Your comment here is exactly what I'm talking about. There isn't one piece of equipment that can do it all, and even the equipment that can't do it all can outperform better pieces at times. I'm not a BOSE fan at all, but I can't deny they make good quality products. For music and instruments they do an amazing job of reproducing sound and actually make it feel fuller than it really is. (BOSE is the only company I have ever experienced do this perfectly)

Thus, it all depends on who you are and what your main goal is.

<tangent>

why cover your speakers in carpet when you can cover them in vinyl?
proxy.php

ooooh yeah.
</tangent>

Just going through a similar discussion on another forum and can't seem to get some people to understand:

A) What matters is not how something sounds or performs without any context but how it sounds and performs in the relevant context. What sounds and works great for one space and application may be a poor choice for a different space and/or application. And it may be some not readily apparent detail that makes the difference.

B) What 'sounds best' or 'sounds the same' is subjective. People could have directly conflicting opinions and both be right (or if they both disagree with my opinion, then both wrong :snooty:).

C) Many people have difficulty delineating what it is specifically they like about certain speakers, technologies, products, etc. That does not make their preference any less valid, but it does make it much harder to address in any comparison. For years I liked coaxial driver based speakers, but it is only in the last few years that I have come to truly understand why that is and what it is about them that I like.

So asking what sounds best or would be best or even what might work without providing sufficient definition of the goals and application forces any responses to be based purely on subjective personal opinion and that personal opinion may differ from yours.

With what I do I often have to set aside my personal preferences in order to accommodate those of my clients. I am certainly willing to share my preferences if asked, however whether I like the same thing they do should only be a factor if it potentially affects meeting their stated goals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back