The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Stage collapse in Toronto

Discussion in 'News' started by JohnD, Jun 16, 2012.

1. ruinexplorer

ruinexplorer Minion CB Mods Premium Member Fight Leukemia

Projectionist
    That is just wrong.

Dionysus, TimMc and RonHebbard like this.
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Well-Known Member

Technical Director
    And there is currently a lockout of IATSE employees in Toronto, where scab workers are being used and following unsafe work practices which have been reported to the ministry of labour who has done nothing.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

The converse of Mike's observation, "just because an incident *does* show up on CB doesn't mean it has general interest or applicability across the industry" is also true.

This particular confimation bias is getting more and more common, and most people aren't positioned to properly identify it as the result of getting the raw, instead of something cooked through a news director somewhere -- it used to be that hearing something on the national news meant it was Actually Important...

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    So, it's fake news?

5. Jay Ashworth

C'mon, Bill, you know better than that.

The *importance to the general public* of a piece of news is something that's traditionally been the province of local print editors and news directors; if something made the national news, it's because one of those gatekeepers ran it, and then either a bunch of other local guys decided to take it off the wire and run it too.

Or a national news editor, with the larger weight of his job on his shoulders, did so.

That intermediation has been removed now, making it difficult for those not schooled in the art to have a good feeling for what's *actually* important. People who want the raw but can't handle it, and hence overreact to it give me hives. An example is subscribers to my local news stringer on FB, who commonly go on about "oh, my ghod; the world is so much more violent now" when a) that's factually, numerically provably incorrect -- it's very much the opposite, and b) they think that *because they asked for the raw, and they can't handle it (handling it being defined as "knowing what the existence of specific news stories actually means, strategically).

Fake news, on the other hand, is things which are not only not news, but not *true*; they're made up lies, or stories stretched (usually by the headline) to imply things they don't actually imply.

Which ever definition of Fake News you like, though, it's got nothing whatever to do with what I was talking about.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    Seems like "cooked through a news director" doesn't sound a lot different from
    And my comment was just intended as a humorous quip based on current events and the news, which, more seriously, is mostly driven by ratings.

7. Jay Ashworth

I'm sorry you think so. In this case, "cooked" is merely the opposite of "raw", measuring the degree to which a news story is processed through a traditional news organization.

It has nothing to do with the "cooked the books" sort of meaning.

If you're trying to imply that traditional news organizations are... hmmm... the enemy of the people? Then we're done on that topic.

Sorry; it's a topic on which I have *zero* sense of humor.

8. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

[off topic] The traditional news media is extremely important to the survival of our nation. Unless most people get and trust in accurate facts, then we cannot hold politicians accountable and solve problems. Facts are facts, and the traditional news media generally gets it right. Reliance on heavily slanted news sources or citizen journalists (FB, Twitter, Fox, Huffpost, etc.) is dangerous.

The other factor is that newspapers are often the original reporters, along with public radio. That is where the stories come from. Often, TV and web news organizations are simply repeating stories from the original reporters. TV and web journalists seldom come up with anything new on their own, with the possible exception of ambulance chasing. The problem is newspapers are struggling financially and laying off staff. If you want to have strong, reliable journalism, support your local newspaper and public radio station.

Full disclosure: I work for a public radio station that is an NPR affiliate. Having watched our reporters and editors work, I have the highest regard for them.