stage manager running the light board?

NHStech

In my house, the SM calls cues from stage right (which has some blind spots). Since light cues generally consist of the lighting person pressing the "go" button on the ETC console, can someone give me a compelling reason why NOT to move my stage manager to the controlbooth and run the lights, while calling the rest of the show? For one thing, she would not be in traffic, and for another, she would always have a good view of the stage (I have hooked up a 7" monitor for her/him, but it isn't quite the same). But, is there something really obvious I am overlooking?

It depends on the complexity of the show. If you're doing a 10 cue wonder, you're probably fine. If your SM is running lights, and calling sound, flies, set Qs, and four spot operators, then you're probably asking for disaster.
My biggest question would be "Is there a compelling reason that your SM isn't already sharing the booth with the board op, so that he?she can call the show in a position with no blind spots?"

I would move the SM to the sound or lights FOH position to call the show. Whether to run the board or not depends on skill level and complexity of the overall show. Usually not a great idea.

It's one of those "this is how we've always done it" things. Previous TD did it this way, I inherited the position with little training, this is where it is done. I personally agree, because if the SM is calling cues, I do not want him/her bothered by people, and the table where cues are called is right in a traffic lane like that. Is there a good reason to keep the SM there?

There are theatres that the SM can be onstage but there are blind spots or traffic problems then by all means move to a house position.

Have them in the booth, but not on the board. I personally do not trust my stage manager to do anything lighting/sound/building related. She does not set up or build and is not properly trained. Keep you SM doing what they are comfortable doing, the last thing you need is confusion.

The only reason an SM should be backstage with a monitor is to avoid blind spots. If the booth offers a better view you should definitely move him/her to it.

I would be very cautious, even on a ten cue ditty, to hand control over to an untrained SM. What if they hit back by accident? What if a dimmer trips and needs t be reset quickly? The light designer isn't on board for the sole purpose of pushing a button every twenty minutes, but rather to watch for problems, and be there to correct them if they occur. I remember a show where the SM wasn't anywhere near the board, but leaned over and hit the under-the-table house lights with her knee mid-show. If the light designer (or anybody who knew where that hidden switch was) hadn't been there to quickly flip the lights off, Chis Keller would have had that pivotal discussion with his father Joe under bright white fluorescents.

If you can't be bothered to board op, and can't find a replacement, then an hour or two with the SM should be enough to train them how to handle most of these problems, but it's a gamble.

Thanks Derek,
I did search beforehand. I looked for "light cues and stage manager," and a few things popped up, but nothing directly related to this question. Apologies.

To clarify about my stage manager:
When I designate one each year, he/she is not only in charge of calling cues. His/her responsibility extends to helping with lighting programming and many other things. So, he/she is very involved in the process of the lights. Obviously, if there were a lot of nuances with the show beyond hitting the go button for cues, I wouldn't have him/her doing the lights.

First you asked the question. Second, many of us do this for a living and we are telling you that most of the time it's a bad idea. It may be different in your situation so if it works, go for it.

I think it's situation-dependent. In our main house the SM sits in prompt corner and calls the show from there - 99% of the time we have one operator who runs LX, sound and any AV that there might be, and very occasionally we might have an ASM if the set is more complex. Our prompt corner is almost completely blind, so it's calling off a monitor - but I much prefer being down there rather than up in the booth because then I'm right there if actors need to find me for anything if something has gone wrong, given that there is no-one else on the deck. If we regularly had ASMs then we'd call from the booth. But, in our second space (much smaller) it's a one-man-band; I'm SM-ing in there at the moment and I'm operating the show (LX, sound and AV) myself. However, it's also personnel-dependent. I'm both a technician and an SM and so I can program the lighting desk and solve problems pretty capably, but one of our other SMs who is not technical at all simply doesn't work in that space.

In conclusion, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer - it depends entirely on your situation and personnel.

Mike (MSTaylor),
Sorry if I irritated you. I made the point of clarification about my stage manager because both you in an earlier post (at least I thought that is what you meant) and a few others mentioned that the knowledge and ability level of the stage manager may be taken into account. I thought the info pertinent. I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I appreciate all the input and the fact that many of you are full-time, which is precisely why I asked. This forum has helped me as a part-time auditorium manager/technical director so much, I cannot begin to tell you. Perhaps the "obviously" part of my post made me sound defensive (?), but again, that was unintended. That's the one bad thing about message boards, emails, etc. - voice inflection gets totally lost. So, my apologies if I irritated you or anyone else. No disrespect or snarky-ness intended.

Unless the SM has some really strong/good ASMs he/she belongs on the stage where he/she can "manage" the stage. I have never had a good experience with the SM being in a booth, lighting or otherwise, or out front in another location. The SM needs to be able to deal with any problems that arise quickly and efficiently therefore they need to be on the stage to do that. Close to the action and close to the dressing rooms. No matter how simple the show, it is never a good idea to have to SM run the lighting console. They need to be focused on the prompt script and the action on stage, not finding their way around a console. I'll also add that putting the SM and board op together in a booth, espeically at the high school and college level, and I have seen this happen at the professional level too, usually leads to conversation which always leads to missed cues, mistakes, or other dangerous moments.

We have cctv monitors SL and SR and also in the Green Room.
This might not be practical but common in many Venues. This eliminates the blind spots as would be the case with a full box set. The stage manager can call from the booth or the stage. Personally I prefer the booth as there are fewer distractions. Actors are not allowed in the booth.:)

My feelings are that the SM should be backstage, to deal with any problems that may arise, can also see if the deck is clear for a rail call, set move or whatever....If there are blind-spots, than a monitor might be a solution if money allows. The SM in the booth is to far away, they can be disconnected from the show, and if a problem comes up, what can they do from FOH.

My wooden nickels worth

Sean...

My feelings are that the SM should be backstage, to deal with any problems that may arise, can also see if the deck is clear for a rail call, set move or whatever....If there are blind-spots, than a monitor might be a solution if money allows. The SM in the booth is to far away, they can be disconnected from the show, and if a problem comes up, what can they do from FOH.

My wooden nickels worth

Sean...

I dont personally understand the idea of being more able to see if the deck is clear for a fly cue from the stage, as that would probably require there to be no masking... As for what can they do from FoH, the real question for me personally (not being an SM) is what can they do from the stage, they still have to be in front of their prompt script to continue calling cues, so all being on stage does is either cause a missed cue by them being in the dressing room doing something or them not dealing with the problem because they are off calling cues. Can anyone who actually IS a stage manager explain this (im just a lighting designer/ME/I sometimes work in other shops theatre person, most of my contact with the SM is telling them where the cues go or how to use various things that they will never touch...)? FWIW, our SMs have always called from the booth, so the idea of them being on stage is rather novel to me... We do always have 2+ ASMs and at least 2 stage hands, so not having people on stage is never really a problem for us...

I dont personally understand the idea of being more able to see if the deck is clear for a fly cue from the stage, as that would probably require there to be no masking... As for what can they do from FoH, the real question for me personally (not being an SM) is what can they do from the stage, they still have to be in front of their prompt script to continue calling cues, so all being on stage does is either cause a missed cue by them being in the dressing room doing something or them not dealing with the problem because they are off calling cues. Can anyone who actually IS a stage manager explain this (im just a lighting designer/ME/I sometimes work in other shops theatre person, most of my contact with the SM is telling them where the cues go or how to use various things that they will never touch...)? FWIW, our SMs have always called from the booth, so the idea of them being on stage is rather novel to me... We do always have 2+ ASMs and at least 2 stage hands, so not having people on stage is never really a problem for us...

It's very rare for me to have an ASM or a stagehand - that's just the way we work - and I always call from backstage. I don't often leave my desk to solve problems - it does happen occasionally, in which case I can usually trust my operator to take cues, but normally I can deal with things from my desk. I've been known to sew buttons on while calling cues; on a musical I always have spare capsules, batteries, mic packs and tape at my desk and can switch a busted mic out while I call cues. Most of the time, though, I can tell people where to find what they need to solve their issues, and that's about as far as it goes - they can usually sort it out themselves provided they can find whatever it is they need. If I regularly had ASMs or stagehands, it's quite possible I'd call from the booth, but the actors need to have someone on deck for them and usually I'm the only option.

Well, in my experience thru the years(many years in stock and 10 yrs + theater tours) the SM has 99.9% of the time been backstage, as that is were the action is and involved in whats going on(if that is the type of show that needs that). To see if the deck is clear is to take a couple of steps upstage as they are on the deck. Maybe I have not done shows that had the luxury of an ASM on both side of the stage, or even one. And I believe that if there is an issue, not a missing button or small prop, but a stuck wagon, hung fly piece, or hit lighting fixture or something that effects the show in a large manner. The SM being in the booth would have to hear about the issue, understand about whats wrong, and then tell whom ever needs to know to fix it, or tell the crew/cast that there is a change and hope they get the message instead of being able to be the one given direction in person.

Just the way I feel and the way I was brought up...
Have a good one

Sean...

I dont have much experience, but I've always called cues from booth, and we've never had an SM onstage (but maybe because there's barely any room there.) As for the SM running the light board, I think it's perfectly fine as long as they know what they're doing. I never recieved any training in lighting or sound, but I have always been able to take the lighting cues by myself, and fix any lighting or sound problems. I think that lighting and sound is basically common sense sometimes.
If your SM really dosen't know anything about lighting, then train them. I think they'd be glad to have the knowledge, and you're really making good use of them.
Whatever works for your show and is easiest for you, do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back