stage monitor return wiring

tyler351

so i need to run a new return (for a monitor) to the stage at my church. It might be around a 150'-200' run from booth to back stage. I plan on buying bulk wire and doing the connections my self. I am just wondering what type of wire would be the best for this job? And where I might be able to buy this wire. lots of details if possible.

You'll have to provide those detail to get a real answer. The monitors and amps your using will be a good start so we can figure out what kind of power you'll be pushing.

Since it is being installed, not only is the application and the signal to be transmitted over the cable critical but so are the physical conditions. For example, will it be run in walls or above inaccessible ceilings? Will it run through any areas considered plenum spaces? Will it be run in conduit or exposed?

Bulk cable is usually much cheaper when purchased as 500' reels or 1000' spools. You may find a local distributor or dealer/contractor that purchases those, or even quanitity purchases them, and will sell you a partial reel or spool with more cable than you need for less than if you ordered just the length you needed.

Oh sorry. It will be used with powered monitors and it will be run through ceiling from the board to the stage. And I also plan on buying bulk

Very nice cable but probably more than what is needed for line level runs for powered monitors and I don't believe it is rated for concealed or plenum installation if that may be applicable.

I read that link with some sadness due to the reference to Neil Muncy, who passed away on August 10, 2012. Neil is one of those where his name may not be well known but his contributions to the pro audio industry were enormous. I had the honor to meet Neil and found him to also be very personable and humble, he will be missed.

Have you ever made XLR cables before? There's a ton of guides online.

For cable, Gotham Kabel AG | 10701 GAC-3 Ultraflexible 3-conductor microphone cable is good stuff

p.s. 150-200 feet isn't really bulk, bulk is more like 500 foot segments. might wanna just custom order some the length you need.

yeah i have wired xlr before and I i was just giving the length the wire would need to run, incase it mattered. I am going to get 500' spool, i just need some direction on what kind of wire would be the best for this application.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back