Installs Standalone playback device for announcements?

cpf

I'd think this would be a common question, but I couldn't find any other threads on it.

I'm looking for a solid-state (preferrably SD-based) audio playback device to play canned announcements at my theatre. Burning CDs and keeping track of levels has gotten tiring, so I'm looking for a 1-button solution. I've looked at Gilderfluke's line of products, but they don't seem to allow selection and playback of a single audio file from many. That and rack mounting would be a plus.

So, is there such a product? Should I just stock up on CD-Rs?

Hmm, is it just me or would it be cheaper to buy a used Mac Mini ($500), a set of XKeys ($130), a QCart license ($50~100), and toss in a rack mount for all that ($150) and come out with a much more flexible system in the end? :neutral:

Hmm, is it just me or would it be cheaper to buy a used Mac Mini ($500), a set of XKeys ($130), a QCart license ($50~100), and toss in a rack mount for all that ($150) and come out with a much more flexible system in the end? :neutral:

Absolutely, it'll also be much more flexible. What are you using for sound effects playback currently? I've always just added the pre-show announcement as the first or second cue in my Qlab file. Or even if its just that one announcement, create an individual file for it alone.

I use QLab for all my sound effects, but this needs to be a Janitor-Ready™ solution that can run without any setup.

Hmm, is it just me or would it be cheaper to buy a used Mac Mini ... and come out with a much more flexible system in the end?
Cheaper? Possibly. But it doesn't meet your criteria:
...I'm looking for a solid-state (preferably SD-based) audio playback device ...
Much more flexible? Definitely, but at the price of more complexity. You'll also need a VDU, mouse, and keyboard for the MacMini.

I can't find the Roland DMR model I used ten years ago; it has likely been discontinued. Most of these units are intended to be controlled remotely via switch closures or serial protocol, so there's not a lot of emphasis on front panel controls/operator interface.

Could you use a DVD player that has a USB in, then get a small SD card reader, and plug and play? If there was only ever one sound file on the card, I imagine it would be pretty easy to find (but, you know, nothing's idiot proof...) :rolleyes:

The players like those Derek has noted are intended for professional use in museums, visitor centers, amusement parks, etc. They are simple and reliable.

The one aspect I'd like to clarify is "...they don't seem to allow selection and playback of a single audio file from many. That and rack mounting would be a plus." How many files and what method of selection were you envisioning? Many of the simple players can have multiple messages each tied to a different button, contact closure or command but if you're wanting something that someone could scan down a playlist, select the file and then hit play they may not fit the bill.

Middle Atlantic, Raxxess and others make rack mounts for iPods and Numark offers this, Fit For Sound Rack-mount music player for iPod.

The players like those Derek has noted are intended for professional use in museums, visitor centers, amusement parks, etc. They are simple and reliable.

The one aspect I'd like to clarify is "...they don't seem to allow selection and playback of a single audio file from many. That and rack mounting would be a plus." How many files and what method of selection were you envisioning? Many of the simple players can have multiple messages each tied to a different button, contact closure or command but if you're wanting something that someone could scan down a playlist, select the file and then hit play they may not fit the bill.

Middle Atlantic, Raxxess and others make rack mounts for iPods and Numark offers this, Fit For Sound Rack-mount music player for iPod.

What I mean by "many files" is that there would be a 5-min preshow warning, an immediate warning, the same for intermission, a no-electronics spiel, a post-show thank you, emergency messages, variation for 10/15/20min intermissions and seasons/times, etc etc. You'd need lots of buttons to cover all the possibilities, hence the XKeys idea (20+ high quality buttons that can be easily labelled and organized). I think maybe a cheap non-Apple MP3 player with a screen could work though, as long as it was chained down.

I did consider a tape deck, but you have the same issue as CDs (loosing/damaging them) plus some tape hiss on top of that.

If you use Qlab, could you just add your intermission and beginning announcements in your Qlab cue stack?

Then, if you had one offs and such, just use a person who can read a script into a mic in the booth. Same for emergency recordings.

Then, if you had one offs and such, just use a person who can read a script into a mic in the booth. Same for emergency recordings.
Be careful of the "emergency recordings" aspect as that is typically limited in application. Announcing lost children, someone to come to the Lobby, bad weather, etc. is one thing, but unless the announcement itself and entire system are approved for such use then it should not be used for life safety related announcements. The last thing you want in an emergency is an untrained person making a panicked announcement.

It sounds like you would have a number of buttons anyways and something like the Alcorn McBride Digital Audio Machine allows direct contact closure of low voltage playback of 15 files as well as serial control and optional network control. It also allows playlists to be created and triggered as well as individual files, with the playlists either being automatically timed sequences or ones using manual 'go' inputs.

You might also want to consider whether all messages get played the same or might some be house only, lobby only, house and lobby, house/lobby/backstage, etc.? If the routing varies then that would seem to require either a trained user or a more advanced form of control that could address both the routing and message playback.

I just found out where the theatre's Marantz PMD-580 was actually hiding (sorry art folks, you'll have to find another doorstop for your storage room). It has most of the features I was looking for (tapedeck interface, fulltext track names, folder support), and all of what I really needed (the fact that we already owned it), so I guess it's problem solved.

Now I just need to hook it up to the network without breaking the Crestron network or offending any of the IT people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back