Steve Jobs Passes

I am a very big mac fan, I try not to be mean to those that hate or be an overbearing mac evangelist, but to each his own.(I said I try!!!) ;)
And one should use the system of there choice.

The news of his death struck me harder than I thought it would, knowing that we all do at some time. I have never seen him in person and I know he has no idea who I am, but it still seems to bum me out.

I just appreciate all of the technical wonders he has brought to this world...For if you are a Mac user or a PC user, Jobs helped push us into a new way of thinking and doing things. It has been a learning experience for all.

I give my respects to his family

Sean...

Re: Steve Jobs Dead.

Whether you like macs or not you can't deny the good that he's done with all the money he's made from the products.

Could you expand on this more? I am just curious to what specifically you are referring to.

Not to be disrespectful, but Steve Job's has been noticeably absent from the billionaire philanthropy club. Now, it's critical to note that he may have given a lot of money privately, or he may plan to give a lot away upon his death. However, so far publicly he has done very little. Check out this story in the Wall Street Journal for more.

Of all the big names in technology that we directly use today - Bill Gates & Paul Allen (Microsoft), Mark Zuckerburg (Facebook), Larry Page & Sergey Brin (Google), Steve Jobs & Steve Wozinak (Apple), he was the first to pass.

zmb, you left off an important name. Gordon Moore (Moore's Law) and co-founder of Intel and one of the guys who came up with the x86 chip platform, which made all the other guys inventions and creations possible, exempting the Woz, who was heavy into hardware as well.

zmb, you left off an important name. Gordon Moore (Moore's Law) and co-founder of Intel and one of the guys who came up with the x86 chip platform, which made all the other guys inventions and creations possible, exempting the Woz, who was heavy into hardware as well.

Without Leonard Bosack or Linus Torvald we would be nowhere. Also, Jeff Bezos should be on that list. All of these guys are still around though.

Not to be disrespectful, but Steve Job's has been noticeably absent from the billionaire philanthropy club. Now, it's critical to note that he may have given a lot of money privately, or he may plan to give a lot away upon his death. However, so far publicly he has done very little. Check out this story in the Wall Street Journal for more.

I didn't mean philanthropy directly, more along the lines of the stuff apple etc has done. He certainly was no bill gates when it came to giving but the direction and creative drive in how he lead apple had a real effect on the tech world. Most directly I'd look to the work he did as CEO of Pixar; that same creative drive made Pixar an animation powerhouse and they've done some really amazing things over the years under his direction.

Of course we don't really know what was his doing or the people he had working for him, but I'd like to think he's at least partly responsible for the environment in that company that seems to foster so much love for what they do and for making people happy.

Thanks for the additions, guess I was thinking a little to present minded.

Of course we don't really know what was his doing or the people he had working for him, but I'd like to think he's at least partly responsible for the environment in that company that seems to foster so much love for what they do and for making people happy.

I dunno Josh. It's tough to reconcile that statement with some of the tactics that Apple has employed in the past, specifically regarding secrecy and the retrieval of the iPhone 4 prototype with Gizmodo and the tactics used in the iPhone 5 retrieval. Some of that is necessity to guard against corporate espionage, some of it seemed excessive.

A very good article, In Praise of Bad Steve

Last edited:

well ok I'll concede that point some of those things and the tracking of people, so.... ignore apple and just look at pixar then haha.

That was a fantastic article Dave and generally the point I was looking to make. we all know he's done some questionable stuff but the good is still there in one form or another. I liked the air bubble part, because yeah they had to do that work all over again to make it smaller but they did it. sometimes change doesn't come unless someone is cracking the whip, even if it is excessive

Yeah, I liked the air bubble part too. A great way to get the point across. I wish I could have seen the engineers face.

I'll be the first to admit that was a jerk thing to do, especially when it sounds like they had a final or pretty final product, but it made his point. I had an old shop manager that was the same way. we'd make something that would be good, work, looked nice, and then he'd come up and say make it better and we'd have to start over. What initially would be frustrating forced us to be better at what we do and make a better end product and I can look back now and appreciate that someone was pushing us to "make something better"

This is so sad. Steve Jobs had such a huge impact on technology that most people don't realize. He is the reason we have GUI operating systems and he provided the first pre-built computers for the home. Also he made smart phones actually "smart". R.I.P.

Edit: And don't forget about PIXAR!!!!

The first GUI was on the Xerox Alto.
While you could agrue that he helped create the first Widely Available/Marketed/Succesful Pre-Assembled personal computer, it was not the first. As far as Pixar is concerned, " If I had known how much it was going to cost me I would never had invested in it.."

The Wall Street Journal just did a fantastic column about Steve Jobs, the best written article so far and the one that really gets to the heart of "The Cult of Apple"

Steve Jobs: The Secular Prophet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back