Storing dry ice.

I think i recall a recent story that involved a dry ice drink, the person actually swallowed the dry ice. so give every one involved clear instructions. as i understand it there should be a separate ice container within the mug so the dry ice cannot come into contact with the drinker.

Don't worry. We're a professional theatre and have been running this gag for about 7 weeks now, and it was rehearsed thoroughly with clear instruction before tech began. She doesn't even tip the mug (really it's more of a giant ceramic beer stein) she just pantomimes taking a drink while other actors on stage make slurping noises. In addition there is a physical barrier in the bottom of the stein to keep the dry ice in the bottom.

Last edited:
We happened to have a high quality white styrofoam cooler lying around (a Kol-Boy, made to ship items in standard cardboard boxes with dry ice), so with the addition of some 1" and 2" pink foam I fashioned a dry ice sarcophagus with just enough room for a block of dry ice swaddled in news print in the center. The show week starts again tonight, so we shall see how it works.

Thanks again for the tips, dry ice is now lasting long enough for 4 shows instead of 2, thus now we are able to do a show week with two blocks total instead of 3 or 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back