Storing dry ice.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Looking for some advice on the topic of storing dry ice for an extended period of days. In our current production there is a small sight gag every night of a classic "misty frothy beverage mug". Every night we are only using a small amount of dry ice, but we find that we are purchasing more dry ice every second or third day because it is sublimating so fast. The cost of this is starting to add up and I know there has to be a better way than just putting the dry ice in a lunch cooler and into the freezer, which is what they are doing now.

I know their exist purpose built dry ice containers, but those are unfortunately outside the range of our budget. What are the most successful methods employed in the storage of dry ice?

On the occasions we have had to use dry ice, we ask the dry ice company for a loan of that blue rolling storage cart. Keeps it overnight pretty well.

But I would think that for smaller quantities, a refrigerator freezer would keep it cold enough and would be better then any non-powered storage bin.

No great suggestions other than that, sorry.

Biggest thing is to keep is sealed. Duct tape close the cooler every night.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We saved one of the containers that Omaha Steaks sends you stuff in. The foam is about two inches thick. More than any cooler you can buy. Kept a couple pounds of ice over a weekend run without refrigeration.

How thick are the walls of your cooler? And of what construction? A current style lunch cooler is probably not the best for this. And a zipper (dunno if your cooler zips) would allow a lot of airflow, which you want to minimize.

A cheapo foam cooler, lined with 2" or thicker foam might work better. We used a shop-built one with an exterior layer of luan, lined with 4" of foam. That did alright just sitting backstage. It helped to also fill in the spare inside area with chunks of scrap foam. The less air the better. Weatherstripping under the lid and a weight on top when closed helped seal it. It will still breathe plenty for safety.

Then again it may not be worth it to build one for low volume use. Whatever you use, anything to reduce the air inside (plus improve insulation at the same time - even better), and to minimize airflow would help. Have fun.

The Dry-Ice Generator mentioned sort of worked, but for our application it did not work out. The density from those is not nearly as solid as regular dry ice. It's similar to a hard pack snowball at best, even after tamping into a steel pipe. It could lean towards cold-slushy. In the end it's life was much shorter. That could be fine for a short gag. Depends.

Last edited:
Weird, when I worked at a grocery store we had a city wide power outage that lasted a few days and we got in a couple tons of dry ice and it was all sealed in plastic bags. Maybe there were small holes in it that I just didn't notice.

The best solution is to keep as much air away from the dry ice as possible. Any styrofoam chest will do then pack wadded news paper, towels, or other similar materials around the block. No matter what you do, you'll lose at least 10% a day minimum.

As mentioned before, NEVER SEAL a container as you will create a bomb.

As others have said - thick foam (2" styrofoam) walls. Other things that help - sawdust, newspaper, etc. The best non-commercial storage container that I've seen consisted of a cardboard box with sawdust - several inches deep which surrounded another cardboard box with 1-2" styrofoam inside of it. The dry ice was wrapped in newspaper and put it the interior styrofoam container.

I've heard that the freezer is the worst place to put dry ice. This is because of the humidity in the freezer. The difference between a freezer and a cool closet is only 40 degrees or so... Which is nothing compared to the temperature of the ice. So there is very little to be gained by a freezer vs just insulating the ice itself really well.

Don't know if it's really true. It's what a guy told me once when I bought it. But it sort of makes sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

confirming experience of at least 10% loss per day no matter what.

Igloo makes a "3 Day Cooler" (or some phrase like that) that works really well, especially when you keep some leftover foam nearby to gradually fill up as much air space as possible. Additional tape to seal the lid helps too. Remember, it's the cold trying to escape to warmer air that you are working against. Helps to put the cooler on top of some foam, too.

We have a couple of Airgas locations nearby... and a Smart&Final that is even closer for last minute oops (although you pay retail price there, and they most likely get it dropped off by the Airgas guy).

I really like the sound of the DIY dry ice - need to look into that further.

(note to lurkers, dry ice is pretty safe but is so cold it can be dangerous to the inexperienced and should not be handled or used without instruction. I shudder to think of someone playing around with it like I used to.)

Later here, but I was also going to suggest diy. As the article suggests, in larger amounts it is cheaper to get commercially made ice, but if you are losing too much each day, you might have savings making it yourself.

Dry Ice Fog and Special Effects

Do not store Dry Ice in a refrigerator freezer. The extremely cold temperature will cause your thermostat to turn off the freezer. It will keep everything frozen in the freezer but it will be used up at a faster rate.

I think you would want to keep the block of dry ice as large as you can. If you break the block into small pieces then you loose 10% of each of those per-day.

During the disco days, I was the B of F & B Manufacturing. The only thing our shop produced was the "Fog-It" line of fog machines. We sold machines to the big guys like Bash, Altmans, Chicago Stage, Lime-light, etc. We built several thousand until we sold the business to Big Apple Lighting.

We were also a North Jersey distributor of dry ice moving more than a thousand pounds a week.

sight gag every night of a classic "misty frothy beverage mug"

I think i recall a recent story that involved a dry ice drink, the person actually swallowed the dry ice. so give every one involved clear instructions. as i understand it there should be a separate ice container within the mug so the dry ice cannot come into contact with the drinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back