Strand 300 won't start up

Call911

Hey all,

I have a Strand 300 lighting console. We have had it sitting out for six months now, and went to rack mount it today. We put it in the rack, and powered it on, the nnoticed we didn't have the actual console (faders) plugged in. So without turning it off, we plugged in the console via the ethernet cord. The computer part instantly turned off, and we havent been able to start it back up since.

I've checked the fuse and it's good. I know the outlet is still good (a lamp on the same strip works fine). Any other words of advice? We opened it up to see if there was a second fuse or replaceable power supply, but it all looks custom made.

Hopefully phenry will chime in with some insight!

FYI the console is about 12 years old, so no warrenty or anything. We're using this in a seconardy space, so no emergency, but we would like to salvage it if we can.

Thanks!!

A little background:
Did the console work fine for those 6 months it was not in a rack? Will the processor boot without the tiles plugged in? Did you use the same Ethernet cord from before (assuming it was running before)?

If the processor will not boot without tiles, my first guess would be that the cable miswired or had a short and voltage went down the wrong tube, and if nothing works, I would assume it blew the power supply.
If it will boot without tiles, then hot swapping the tiles blew one of them. It will need repaired (obviously).

Worked fine for the 6 months laying on the floor. We had to use a new longer cord when we plugged it in to the tiles because the old one was only a few feet long.

Didn't think about checking the cord first.

Will not boot at all, even with the tiles unplugged.

If we blew the power supply, any way to replace it? Or would it have to be sent in. Location is near Chicago.

If you have a computer department or know someone good with them, have them take a look. The processor is essentially a computer running DOS. It has been a long time since I have opened mine up, but I am pretty sure it is a pretty standard power supply in there. It might not be though knowing Strand sometimes....

We already opened it up, and it's a custom power supply. Not your standard computer PSU. Or maybe it is, but shaped different. It runs along the whole side of the case. Anyone know if it can be replaced with a off the shelf PSU?

Vincent Lighting Systems might have a power supply. I don't know if a standard one will work. it should somehow, but sometimes the pin outs are different. You may also check with a computer place to see if they will let you borrow a power supply tester. From the original post though, I am thinking more motherboard problem than power supply. One trick I used to use as a clue, watch the fan in the power supply. When you first plug it in, sometimes it will twitch. But, that does not always work. :-( A PS tester, if it is wired as a standard power supply, will rule out that part.

Possible cause of the fault, you could have used a cross-over cable. As this has a different (crossed over :) pinout this could have caused the power for the tiles to go to the wrong places :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back