Strand DE90 Issue

tbergman

Forum members,

I am brand new to the site but I have been reading threads for quite some time now. It amazes me the amount of knowledge on this board. I am having issues with a Strand DE90 dimmer rack, I was running an event last night when I discovered the problem. All of the sudden the dimmer rack would not respond to DMX or will it respond to the built in controller to turn individual dimmers on. I am at a complete and total loss on this one, I had the electrician in today and we think we have traced the problem to the relays not activating. Since the control module is kept at the default settings we reset it twice along with cutting power to the system twice and tried to find irregularities in the wiring.

The venue is a club space and the equipment room was very hot last night, probably 90 to 100 degrees. The dimmers though in the rack are simply the overhead lighting and a few pars which I only has one turned on. I noticed that I could not control any lights on the rack about an hour into the event and did not discover the whole problem when we couldn't get the lights back to load out.

The system was installed in 2002 and after opening up the panel I am convinced the fans haven't worked in years and it looks like all of the dust for the entire building somehow got dumped into the dimmers.

If anyone has any ideas that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

The first thing to consider, is this from the Wiki:
Lock-Out/Tag-Out - ControlBooth
I was going to link to several threads, but instead, how about this, a search for "cleaning dimmers":
http://www.controlbooth.com/google.php?cx=partner-pub-1609603555281871%3A30nz1ydj2fn&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=cleaning+dimmers&siteurl=www.controlbooth.com%2Fforums%2F&ref=www.controlbooth.com%2Fwiki%2FLock-Out%2BTag-Out&ss=3712j1384064j16&sa.x=0&sa.y=0
From your description a very good cleaning, repair/replacement of fans, is called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back