Strand MX Schematics?

DavidH

I have a 48-channel Strand MX board that blew out one of its capacitors (vaporized it, even). Since that part is in-line with the power input, I figure it gave its all to protect the rest of the board from a surge - hopefully the rest of the board is undamaged, but I can't know that until I fix the obvious problem. Anyhow, to replace it, I need to know the specification for that part. I've googled around, but I can't find the schematics online. Can anyone help with this?

The board in question is the thin board with the connectors mounted on it and is marked as follows:

STRAND LIGHTING PCB1014/3

REF1952
me*A
94v-o

(The * represents a conjoined 'UR', reversed)

The capacitor is at the position marked C43.

Thanks,
David

I have a 48-channel Strand MX board that blew out one of its capacitors (vaporized it, even). Since that part is in-line with the power input, I figure it gave its all to protect the rest of the board from a surge - hopefully the rest of the board is undamaged, but I can't know that until I fix the obvious problem.

Ooh, that's bad. That cap is not even in the switching supply yet. It's a 0.1uF cap. I no longer have a spare PCB or console here in my shop but for it's voltage rating it should be higher that 23VDC which is the max the external power adpator can output. 30-50V range should serve you well. Don't cheap out and get one rated for 18V since you will have no overhead.

I cannot find my fullsize schematics and my reduced set is very hard to read (aka very tiny and blurry).

You are correct. It sits across the power input before the coil. Basically noise filters. If the cap blew because of external effect that would point to the adaptor as also being suspect. I would check it under load if you can. THe design does have a transpordb and a poly switch in place so hopefully thay took the hit and either survived or died in glory.

Change the Varta battery if you get the console running as those batteries have a useful life of 3-7 years. After that it may begin leaking (look for white crustiness around the legs and such).

We also repair these consoles here at my shop if you don't want to hassel with it.

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page
Save My CD-80 Home Page
Emlight Design - Dimmer and Control Service

Users who are viewing this thread

Back