Strand Remote Console on Mac

Diarmuid

Hi guys,
As all the Panto's are quickly approaching, I've been trying to get my Mac to work as a strand remote console, based on the document here that says I can quite happily use virtual PC to make a wonderful remote console. The problem I'm having is that I can't find any copies of Virtual PC 4,5 or 6 and when I've tried installing on other virtual computers it just hasn't worked... I managed to get a copy of Virtual PC 2004, which is running inside parallels on my mac, but that just won't boot the actual geniusp.bat or cios files to start the console. When I tried to install on a standard parallels vm, then parallels wouldn't let me allocate enough RAM because it was a dos machine and when I tried VMware, I couldn't find the right network drivers....

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience trying to do this install and whether or not anyone had ever managed to make it work?

I know I could try and buy the xConnect dongle, but I don't know of anywhere I can get one (even though I only need it for a couple of weeks!) and can't really afford it!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Diarmuid

Couldn't you dual-boot? You would need a license key though.

Couldn't you dual-boot? You would need a license key though.

+1. I dont see why you cant just dual boot the thing. Unless you want to use Windows and Mac at the same time. In that case use Parallels. I know of at least one designer that uses this to run their MA software and VW while outputting something or other to a ESPVision rig to pre-vis a show and view what the programmer is doing, while being able to adjust lights and whatnot.

Im not a Mac user but I would recommend dual booting the mac, or purchasing a used, refurbished, or off lease notebook. And if you are looking to use your computer as a remote I also recommend a mouse with a good scroll wheel. The scroll wheel can act as an encoder wheel when pressing and holding the soft key button. I love the remote function I tend to program 80-90% of a show from my computer.

Well, no for this instance, you can't dual boot a mac to work as a client/remote. You need to have a machine that suppors running DOS 6.22. I am retty sure that VMWare Fusion is still capable of reunning a virtual machine that can run DOS, I don't know about Parallels. I have done this before, but it has been a while. If you are using an Intel-based mac, I don't think you can run VirtualPC at all. VPC was designed for PowerPC systems, and I don't think that it really works right on an Intel processor. I haven't kept up with Parallels because I like VMWare Fusion better.

Ion any case, you will need copies of the DOS 6.22 floppies as well as the console software floppies. You shouldn't need any drivers other than what comes with the Strand software and the virtualization software. You should be able to make it work using shared networking. You do have to make sure that you install, configure and run all the appropriate Strand software. You need the console software, the networker software and the node software. YOu also need to make sure that your primary console has the networker software installed and active or this will be an excercise in futility. You need to make sure that your computer's IP address is in the same subnet as your console and that they are on the same network. Maks sure you make the appropriate changes to the 220Node.cfg files on both. Lots of seetings to make sure are correct.

I know that Strand still has the xConnect dongles in stock (I asked about it the other day because I put mine in the washing machine...). They should be like $100 (US). I would contact your locan Strand dealer or rep, or Strand directly and see about getting one. As the hardware is discontinued, they may be able to make you a deal. This is certainly a far simpler route to take than trying to set up a virtual console. The other nice thing about it is that it supports multiple displays where the virtual console doesn't.

Can you create a virtual console, yes, I have done it. It was a PITA, and seemingly not worth the trouble. I could probably do it again if I sat down and treind to really remember everything that I had to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back