Strand SN103 Node Issues

Just a quick update. I got my SN103 back today from Strand where Randy personally oversaw the repair. It is back to fully functional, and I appreciate speed at which the case was handled. So Strand has certainly held up their end on this.

Thanks to all who offered to help, I am back in business.

Just a quick update. I got my SN103 back today from Strand where Randy personally oversaw the repair. It is back to fully functional, and I appreciate speed at which the case was handled. So Strand has certainly held up their end on this.

Thanks to all who offered to help, I am back in business.

Glad you are up and running. That was a tricky little fix, but she was working great, and thats all that matters.:)

I wanted to let everyone know exactly what i did with this fix, so that if anyone has the same problem, they may be able to fix it on the spot.

When I first got the node from Alex, I initially plugged it in to test it right out of the box. The problem that Alex was having was noticeable right away. The 24V power supply was doing a ramp up, then ramp back down again. This usually shows that the power supply has some capacitors drying up, and going out.

Once I determined that the power supply had in fact gone out, I started my voltage testing. Once I unhooked the "node" from the back box, I disconnected everything associated with the "brains" of the node. In the box remained the power cable going in, a power filter, and the 120VAC to 24VDC power supply. I proceeded to meter the flow coming in, and I got a solid 120VAC (CHECK), I then metered the power coming out of the filter: 120VAC (CHECK), then on to the input to the power supply: 120VAC (CHECK). Then came the DC output: NOT SO GOOD. It was ramping up, and then dropping because those capacitors had reached they're limits, and drop down, then try to allow back up to 24VDC, and won't do it. Then the cable got unplugged, and the fun started.

Since the node has been discontinued for a while, and Alex needed the node back with the quickness, I didn't have the time to try and get a replacement OEM power supply. I also didn't have the time to have the shop to find the bad capacitors, and replace them. So I went with Plan RANDY. I found the smallest power supply that I had here (which I was also able to use because it was in its own enclosed casing, and it wouldn't ground out on the chassis). I had to pop a couple of the original screws out so that the new power supply would mount with some screws in the bottom. Once I got that mounted, I had to add an additional ground for the supply, and wired that in.

Finally I metered all the loads to confirm everything worked as it should, and I got all the right voltage from the input, and the 24VDC that I needed for the output.

I hooked the node back up, and tested it here, and it worked great, and it went out the next morning to Alex.

If anyone needs help from any of our products, please feel free to ask at any time.

Ok Randy. Thanks for the advice! I am going to attempt this fix for our SN103. We need this thing up and running ASAP. I sure hope this works out. I do have to admit that this seems a little on the "Mickey Mouse" end of the spectrum on the proper fix scale.

I was also wondering why is it that Strand seems content in adandoning those of us with older Strand products? Heck the SN103 is really even that old, is it? Being here in Cypress down the street from Strand and being a life long Strand user has made be oh so aware of Strand's reputation in the area of service and customer service. Why isn't more of an effort made to fix Strand's Achillis' heel? It seems so obvious to all of us but it doesn't seem to ever happen.

Anyways, I dont want to seem like I am ragging on you. I really appreciate your help.
Steve Banneck

Ok Randy. Thanks for the advice! I am going to attempt this fix for our SN103. We need this thing up and running ASAP. I sure hope this works out. I do have to admit that this seems a little on the "Mickey Mouse" end of the spectrum on the proper fix scale.

I was also wondering why is it that Strand seems content in adandoning those of us with older Strand products? Heck the SN103 is really even that old, is it? Being here in Cypress down the street from Strand and being a life long Strand user has made be oh so aware of Strand's reputation in the area of service and customer service. Why isn't more of an effort made to fix Strand's Achillis' heel? It seems so obvious to all of us but it doesn't seem to ever happen.

Anyways, I dont want to seem like I am ragging on you. I really appreciate your help.
Steve Banneck

Steve,

Thank you for all the kind words. When you called, I simply went over your options with you. I told you that the EASIEST and CHEAPEST way for you to repair your node was to replace the power supply, and install the easy fix on your own. I never once shunned you away from sending it in to us. I also recommended reading my post about fixing the Node on Controlbooth.com.

Secondly, Strand's factory is no longer in Cypress. The technical support, customer service, and all manufacturing has been moved to Dallas since the middle of March.

Lastly, like I went over with you on the phone. Your node is over 8 years old. Compasitors on a 120v AC to 24v DC power supply can dry up. Which is exactly what Alex's node did when he had sent it to me. The power supply is NOT made anymore for that node. So the EASIEST/FASTEST/CHEAPEST way to fix it was to offer you to read the post that you had already read. If you want to send it in to get fixed, please feel free, and I will start the paper work with you. I am more than happy to get your part fixed for you.

This is an (admitably, very belated) update on the repair of our Strand SN103 Node. The power supply completely died and I found, with help from Randy Schwimmer at Strand Lighting, what I think turned out to be an relatively easy.

At our local electronics store I purchased a Mean Well (Model Number S-25-24) 25w 24v 1.1a power supply that turned out to be a little under 4" x 4". This fit nicely in the node with a little rearranging in the back of the box. The power supply cost under $40. I needed to grind out a couple of the standoffs in the back of the node and drill a couple small holes so I could bolt the new node directly to the back of the box using the two threaded holes on the bottom of the power supply. That and a new ground wire mounted inside the box was about all I needed and the node seems to be happily doing its thing again. The new power supply has an voltage adjustment but it was putting out exactly 24v right out of the box. The electronics store did not have this power supply in stock but they were happy to order it and I had it just a few days later. Here's a link to information about this power supply -

Meanwell Power Supply Products

If you don't have an extra node to use you may want to consider replacing your power supply before it actually dies. Our went out the afternoon of a performance and we were in big trouble. Our node was eight years old when the power supply went out.

Our node has been humming along doing its thing ever since it got the new power supply. Thanks again to Randy Schwimmer at Strand Lighting who talked me through this enough to get me going in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back