Control/Dimming StrandLighting LD90

macdiv

Good day ,
I Have an old LD90 dimmer rack with its processor board ..... and i need to separate 2 racks in another place and offcorse i have only one processor board that converts digital DMX to analog ... Is there any sort of modification that i can make it run from a 0-10V Demux converter ,,,, cos i know it should work only with 0 and -10V ...

Good day ,
I Have an old LD90 dimmer rack with its processor board ..... and i need to separate 2 racks in another place and offcorse i have only one processor board that converts digital DMX to analog ... Is there any sort of modification that i can make it run from a 0-10V Demux converter ,,,, cos i know it should work only with 0 and -10V ...
@macdiv Google Johnson Systems in Calagry, Alberta, Canada. [Not to be confused with Johnson Controls] Shaun Johnson has been building Strand retrofits, better than Strand's originals, for more than a decade. Shaun offers mechanically and electrically plug compatible retrofit card cage assemblies ready to plug and bolt into CD80's, CD80AE and CD90 full height 48 slot / 96 dimmer racks. His retrofit electronics and ventilation assemblies are fully compatible and capable of controlling and cooling 2.4 KW, 6.0 and 12 KW dimmer modules. I've ALWAYS found Johnson Systems very good to deal with. Often, if you phone them, Shaun himself will answer the phone. Look over their website prior to e-mailing or phoning, consider your options and narrow your choices a little. Johnson Systems can provide more than one way to 'skin your cat'.
All the best.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
[I'm not affiliated with JSI in any way. I'm merely a very satisfied, fairly long term, user]

@macdiv Google Johnson Systems in Calagry, Alberta, Canada. [Not to be confused with Johnson Controls] Shaun Johnson has been building Strand retrofits, better than Strand's originals, for more than a decade. Shaun offers mechanically and electrically plug compatible retrofit card cage assemblies ready to plug and bolt into CD80's, CD80AE and CD90 full height 48 slot / 96 dimmer racks. His retrofit electronics and ventilation assemblies are fully compatible and capable of controlling and cooling 2.4 KW, 6.0 and 12 KW dimmer modules. I've ALWAYS found Johnson Systems very good to deal with. Often, if you phone them, Shaun himself will answer the phone. Look over their website prior to e-mailing or phoning, consider your options and narrow your choices a little. Johnson Systems can provide more than one way to 'skin your cat'.
All the best.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
[I'm not affiliated with JSI in any way. I'm merely a very satisfied, fairly long term, user]
Thanks for the advice ,, i will do it right away ...

I contact them and they told me that they don't have the board I need

Last edited:
I was asked to look at an LD90 system and have concluded there were just to few ever built to justify any company servicing them with parts. Sad. I told them to replace two racks with Sensor or replace with many fewer relays and replace fixtures.

I contact them and they told me that they don't have the circuit I need
@macdiv I'm surprisded and sorry to read that. I've installed their retrofit electronics and ventilation upgrades into Strand CD80 and CD80AE racks and they're mechanically and electrically a joy to deal with as the bolts and plugs match up for an easy installation. If you look here: http://www.johnsonsystems.com/strand_cd_2000_3000.htm
You'll find two units that will get you DMX512 inputs.
Elsewhere on their site you can find electronics that will adapt from individual analogue inputs to DMX512A.
Doug Fleenor's site would be another good site for you to check. Doug Fleenor's wife Janelle keeps an eye on Control Booth and I'm sure she'd do her best to help you if she can. @jfleenor
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

UPDATE ..
After i find it hard to find the -10V DMX piece for my STRAND ,,, i thought that i must analyze the original Strand LD90 processor output signal ... and i did some testes .. and i found the following :
the LD90 processor piece output 0-1.5V dc output and its fed directly to the LD90 Dimmer DIL socket and that socket is connected directly to the optocoupler input that is connected directly to the triac terminal ... so the LD90 processor is a very special and unique one cos its converting DMX to a PWM dimming signal ...rather than converting a digital DMX to analogue 0-10V ,,,,,
So what i will need now is a piece that can have a DMX input or 0-10Vdc input and output a a dimming control circuit signal ...

Last edited:
UPDATE ..
After i find it hard to find the -10V DMX piece for my STRAND ,,, i thought that i must analyze the original Strand LD90 processor output signal ... and i did some testes .. and i found the following :
the LD90 processor piece output 0-1.5V dc output and its fed directly to the LD90 Dimmer DIL socket and that socket is connected directly to the optocoupler input that is connected directly to the triac terminal ... so the LD90 processor is a very special and unique one cos its converting DMX to a PWM dimming signal ...rather than converting a digital DMX to analogue 0-10V ,,,,,
So what i will need now is a piece that can have a DMX input or 0-10Vdc input and output a a dimming control circuit ...
@macdiv Let's call @jfleenor so she'll read your post and possibly comment.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

UPDATE ..
So what i will need now is a piece that can have a DMX input or 0-10Vdc input and output a a dimming control circuit signal ...
@macdiv I was confusing your Strand LD90 with Strand's CD90. My fault. Sorry.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Daughter. ;)

I'll point our technicians at this thread and let you know what they say!

Greetings all,

I guess my position is a little bit unique in that I design retrofits on occasion and I used to work at Strand.

The LD90 was only supported through Strand's UK office. As such, we don't tend to see them in North America except on a few cruise ships. While it's possible to consider retrofitting them, the cost of doing so probably exceeds to cost of a new dimmer system. If you are really good at cabling, connectors, soldering, and the use of a 'scope, you cobble something together to make one of the Johnson Systems retrofits work. The DE90 shared some of the same hardware with the LD90. However, it would be anything but "plug and play". Sadly, my recommendation is to start gathering quotes for a replacement system.

Regards,
Milton Davis, Engineer
Doug Fleenor Design, Inc.

Greetings all,

I guess my position is a little bit unique in that I design retrofits on occasion and I used to work at Strand.

The LD90 was only supported through Strand's UK office. As such, we don't tend to see them in North America except on a few cruise ships. While it's possible to consider retrofitting them, the cost of doing so probably exceeds to cost of a new dimmer system. If you are really good at cabling, connectors, soldering, and the use of a 'scope, you cobble something together to make one of the Johnson Systems retrofits work. The DE90 shared some of the same hardware with the LD90. However, it would be anything but "plug and play". Sadly, my recommendation is to start gathering quotes for a replacement system.

Regards,
Milton Davis, Engineer
Doug Fleenor Design, Inc.
@macdiv @BillConnerFASTC Hello! I trust you've both read this.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I was confusing your Strand LD90 with Strand's CD90. My fault. Sorry.
Don't feel bad, Ron. Everytime I see this thread, I think it's about Strand LP90.

proxy.php

Don't feel bad, Ron. Everytime I see this thread, I think it's about Strand LP90.

proxy.php
@derekleffew My idea of a lighting board. The LP90 and I understood each other and then when a software upgrade added "Record minus subs" nirvana and heaven collided right there in my booth.
"Record minus subs" coupled with the concept of using groups as erasers.
Mmm Boy! Things just weren't going to get any better!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@derekleffew My idea of a lighting board. The LP90 and I understood each other and then when a software upgrade added "Record minus subs" nirvana and heaven collided right there in my booth.
"Record minus subs" coupled with the concept of using groups as erasers.
Mmm Boy! Things just weren't going to get any better!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
i read this replay 4 times and i didnt understand any thing ....now i now that the language is a big barrier

I posted above that I had found out after careful research for my client with LD90 racks that they should replace them or convert to relays and LED, so not news.
@BillConnerFASTC Understood. Previously read and comprehended. Not everything has to be news to be of value. Sometimes confirmation from an independent source has its merits / uses.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back