Strobe effects and wizardry

TNasty

As you're probably all familiar, I've got a little lighting rig of my own, and to keep myself entertained I'll put together some light shows (which are great for showing friends when they come over as).

I also went to a Metallica concert about a month ago, which reminded me of some effects I'd love to recreate. As much as I'd love a kinetic display and lighting system, I'm certain those are out of my budget for now. What I'm really talking about is some of the strobe patterns that you'll see at these gigs- namely what I call "The Spin" (where it goes around in a circle, or square, depending on your rig) and "The Cycle" where it uses several units seemingly at random in random positions, an example of this here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
- it's used a fair bit around 4:40, I wanted to find a moment where they used most of their fixtures for the effect, but I'll have to dig around to find a shot with that.

If anybody knows the trick to getting this effect, I'd love to hear about it, because plain strobing is getting a little redundant at this point. While we're on the topic of effect patterns and light shows, I might as well open up the discussion to other effects and stuff as well if you're interested in sharing.

Edit: fixed formatting due to auto parsed video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back