Vintage Lighting Strong Trouper - gal needs help!

Hello all,

I have a Strong Trouper I'm trying to sell - it's in mint condition except the carbon element has been removed and it's been rewired to take a conventional light bulb.

Other than that, no rust, has filters, knobs turn etc. (you can tell I know nothing about these lights!)

My problem is I have no idea how much I should sell it for and where to advertise. It was a gift years ago from a late friend who had a lighting store in San Francisco he was closing down. (I helped him a lot). Then I moved to Boston and it came with me.. and now it just won't fit in my new place and my kids keep wanting to climb all over it..

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? Or does anyone here want to buy it!? I've seen them on ebay for $2000 but I have no idea if they sell for that.

Help!

Julie

Welcome to CB Julie! There are several potential sources here in the link below. Also, use the search function, and you will find many threads on the topic of used equipment. As far as a listing price, I would look on these sites to see if you can find similar instruments to help you guage the market value.

Be sure to stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself. Enjoy your time here on CB!

~Dave

Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth

If it was a properly done xenon conversion, then it is most likely worth a couple of grand.

Troupers were the industry standard many years ago. Still great lights. When Strong changed over to xenon in the 80s, several aftermarket manufacturers started producing kits that would allow you to upgrade the old Carbon Arc units to xenon. If you search this site you will find a wealth of information about Strong Troupers, and their bigger brothers, Super Troupers. (And even some on their REALLY big brothers, the Gladiators.)

Take some pictures, especially of the lamp-house showing how the lamp is mounted and we can get an idea if this was a real upgrade, or if someone was just fooling around. A real classic unit you have there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back