Automated Fixtures Studio Spot Issues

DHSLXOP

Hi Everyone,

I'm in tech right now so this is slightly urgent. I have 6 High End Studio Spots that I rented. The beams on 2 of them are significantly smaller (when at the same height) than the others. I tried to test the iris on both units, and it doesn't seem like it is stuck or anything, the iris is still making the beam smaller as it is supposed to.

The small beams aren't really useable at focusing on anything because they are too small to light a person. Any ideas of what is going on here?

Thanks!

If the manual is to be believed these Studio Spot is available with 3 different lenses. I would suggest checking with the rental shop to see if they shipped you a mixed bag or if they were all supposed to be the same.

I didn't even realize that the Studio Spots had those options. Are they completely different models of the light, or is it possible to potentially get the correct lens from the rental shop and change it out myself?

Beats me. Usually lens swapping can be done by an end user and certainly by a shop technician. Contact the rental shop.

It's a single screw. Super easy. Loosen screw, swing the lens retaining arm out of the way, reverse to install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I opened all of my units up and they all have the same lens in them. It's product number 80160030, which is the 18deg standard lens that comes with the unit. Even when I attempted to switch them between units, the same size problems continued to be true. So it doesn't seem like it's the lens that's causing this problem. Any other ideas?

So I opened all of my units up and they all have the same lens in them. It's product number 80160030, which is the 18deg standard lens that comes with the unit. Even when I attempted to switch them between units, the same size problems continued to be true. So it doesn't seem like it's the lens that's causing this problem. Any other ideas?
In that case, it must be the iris. Take a look at one, and make sure it is opening all the way. Or call the rental shop. To be honest, its really their problem.

I'd swap lenses with a known good unit to ascertain if the lens is correct and to narrow the problem to a fixture(s). Note that as well as the assorted swappable lenses for the SS , the SS was made with a zoom lens option. Any chance you have one of those ?.

I'd swap lenses with a known good unit to ascertain if the lens is correct and to narrow the problem to a fixture(s). Note that as well as the assorted swappable lenses for the SS , the SS was made with a zoom lens option. Any chance you have one of those ?.

After opening up the fixtures and running them with the cover off, I found that it is a problem with the iris. Somehow two units both have the same problem. It seems like the motor doesn't want to completely open the iris. It will run a little bit and then stop and get stuck. And then there are times that it won't move at all, or will try to move but the gears don't seem to grip completely.

After opening up the fixtures and running them with the cover off, I found that it is a problem with the iris. Somehow two units both have the same problem. It seems like the motor doesn't want to completely open the iris. It will run a little bit and then stop and get stuck. And then there are times that it won't move at all, or will try to move but the gears don't seem to grip completely.
Turn the iris motor by hand, (gently) and compare the resistance to a fixture that is working correctly. My guess is that the motors are bad.
The iris themselves don't really fail often. To be honest, I don't know if I have ever replaced one in a studio 575.
The motors on the other hand do fail occasionally.

I guess I'll have to bring them down to my rental shop to try to get them to look at the motors. That's what it definitely seems to be.

They won't come out and do the repair on-site? Bummer.. Sorry.
I guess I am spoiled by my local rental houses.

Are you taking them back to the shop because you think you need to or because they told you to? Unless they are giving you the fixtures for a total steal, which they were well could be, they should send a technician to you seeing as they sent you fixtures that were not properly teched at the shop before being sent out.

I was able to get the rental company to bring me 2 new fixtures. In the past I've had to personally take them to their shop to have them serviced but, due to lack of time, I was able to get the units. The next problem I had was that the shutter in one unit wouldn't completely close. Was able to swap that one out with a spare that the shop gave me, so I'm hoping that nothing else decides to stop working before the end of my run.

Good! As I said previously, they sent you two bum fixtures and thus you shouldn't have had to leave your chair to get them serviced or to get working fixtures.

Regarding the failures of the StudioSpots....they are older fixtures. If they are in a rental inventory they are likely early or well worn units. They are bound to fail at a higher rate than new fixtures that have less hours. Fortunatley, they are relatively easy to service.

When we used to have Studio series fixture in our inventory, we basically had to check them coming and and going out, and include 20% extra as spares to ensure our clients wouldn't have problems. I'd have problems show up with them sitting safely in their cases at the shop. At least you can switch modules in the air without too much hassle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back