Stuxnet Worm Targeting Siemens Industrial Control Systems

Oh, and of course it's a "worm" not a "work". That's what I get for posting quickly in the middle of the day...

John--
Conveniently, CB anticipates the potential fallibility of its members, and provides a mechanism for self-correction.;)
EditPost.jpg

By August, researchers had found something more disturbing: Stuxnet appeared to be able to take control of the automated factory control systems it had infected – and do whatever it was programmed to do with them. That was mischievous and dangerous.

But it gets worse. Since reverse engineering chunks of Stuxnet's massive code, senior US cyber security experts confirm what Mr. Langner, the German researcher, told the Monitor: Stuxnet is essentially a precision, military-grade cyber missile deployed early last year to seek out and destroy one real-world target of high importance – a target still unknown.

I found the "state funded" comment also quite funny indeed. Hey it could of been a 12-year-old. Anyone can learn enough programming to do something like that if they really care to. Most of us are just not motivated in those ends.

Plus most "hackers" have no real malice behind their actions, and thus realizing something that could control automated systems and could KILL PEOPLE, would NEVER undertake programming something like that in the first place.

Well considering myself a bit of a hacker myself (I spoke at the hacker conference here in NYC this summer, in fact), I generally agree with you, but it doesn't seem likely to me that this is the work of a bored 13 year old. Bruce Schneier posted more info:

New research, published late last week, has established that Stuxnet searches for frequency converter drives made by Fararo Paya of Iran and Vacon of Finland. In addition, Stuxnet is only interested in frequency converter drives that operate at very high speeds, between 807 Hz and 1210 Hz.
The malware is designed to change the output frequencies of drives, and therefore the speed of associated motors, for short intervals over periods of months. This would effectively sabotage the operation of infected devices while creating intermittent problems that are that much harder to diagnose.
Low-harmonic frequency converter drives that operate at over 600 Hz are regulated for export in the US by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission as they can be used for uranium enrichment. They may have other applications but would certainly not be needed to run a conveyor belt at a factory, for example.

Well considering myself a bit of a hacker myself (I spoke at the hacker conference here in NYC this summer, in fact), I generally agree with you, but it doesn't seem likely to me that this is the work of a bored 13 year old. Bruce Schneier posted more info:

Aaahhh, with that the earlier comments released actually make sense. Yes, indeed it does sound much more specific. The earlier vague information with associated remarks sounded more like supposition and propaganda than hard information. Much more clear now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back