Substitute for ClearCom, Telex?

CSCTech

Hello everyone,

I recently helped film a graduation, and they had a very, at least to me, interesting communications system as we had 4 cameras around the hall. The system worked very much like a ClearCom. There is a central unit that up to 4 personal belt packs connect to via phone cable. The headsets are hardwired to the personel unit and the personel unit has a volume knob and a 3 way speak switch (Off, Hold-To-Talk, Hands-Free).
So this was much like four people picking up phones on the same line. Being a closed phone line, there is no interfearence at all and the beltpacks where powered by the phone line. the transmission was instant and clear and multipul speakers could speak at once.

The central unit had the model name "Telex HSP17"

Anyone ever hear of these kind of units? I am very interested as they are most likely cheaper than ClearComs.

The HSP17 does not appear in a google search, was it a very old unit?

How was it wired at the "central unit" and what did this unit look like?

Broadcast tend to use matrix communications systems more than party lines, but in small situations, they do use PLs.

If it's matrix, it will be worth more than clearcom PL, think probably a degree of magnitude more... If it is PL of some description, it'll be of roughly the same price as CC.

Telex is often nigh bulletproof, but that, as always, comes at a cost...

The system was rather old and the AV director does not remember when it was purchased.
It was a white box, with a power cord and 4 phone jack inputs. Each headset/beltpack unit was plugged into this main box.

After that the beltpack indluding mic and speaker was powered by the phone cable.

If this is no longer available, would this be something one could make with some tinkering? It seems like a rather simple device.

Yeah, : ( Wish companies wouldn't just right out discontinue something but rather stop producing it and make it a special order only type thing perhaps.

Yeah, : ( Wish companies wouldn't just right out discontinue something but rather stop producing it and make it a special order only type thing perhaps.
That would make no sense for the manufacturers, distributors, reps, dealers, etc., especially with lower cost products. Having to maintain the manufacturing capability, parts sources and so on, much less keeping it in the sales system, would be cost prohibitive. In fact many products are discontinued when parts for them become no longer available or too expensive. And when manufacturers had to meet RoHS compliance in their manufacturing many discontinued some lines because it would have cost more to achieve compliance than they could have ever made in return.

I found this system on that site. The description is very vague, I assume with this system I can connect a maximum of 5 wired or wireless headsets?
WBS4000- Production Intercom Inc.
If you are looking at low cost solutions cost I would skip looking at wireless and maybe think more about something more like econocom or Clear-Com: Partyline Intercom Systems.

In most cases, manufacturers will not discontinue a product without a replacement, and in things such as comms, that replacement tends to be backwards compatible, but isn't always. If you can better explain to us what functionality it had, we can probably work out what the modern equivalent is...

That would make no sense for the manufacturers, distributors, reps, dealers, etc., especially with lower cost products. Having to maintain the manufacturing capability, parts sources and so on, much less keeping it in the sales system, would be cost prohibitive. In fact many products are discontinued when parts for them become no longer available or too expensive. And when manufacturers had to meet RoHS compliance in their manufacturing many discontinued some lines because it would have cost more to achieve compliance than they could have ever made in return.

As an example, Yamaha have discontinued the PM1D because they are at the point where they can no longer get the parts. They've committed to continue to support the system for the next 10 years and have teh part stocks to do so, but literally a number of the components aren't made anymore, so if they are poured into new systems, they are depleting stock that is earmarked for repairs...

I know also that George Massenburg was saying last year when he was in Australia, that when their pot model becomes no longer stocked they have to buy up a stock of them to be able to contnue to service existing product and then reengineer the compressor or whatever so that the marked numbers on the front panel match the new pot's characteristics...

The econocom looks nice.

I wish there was a set with everything needed :/

The description says it comes with a 'System interface' that other 'headset stations' connect to.

That last one is something I am definetly going to consider. Although I will need to read up on some basic electronic symbols etc.

If anyone here can decifer that circuit for me that would be great ;p

HME has good systems you may be interested in. They are intended for sports coaches, but fit the theater as well. Also Production Intercom is worth a look

HME has good systems you may be interested in. They are intended for sports coaches, but fit the theater as well. Also Production Intercom is worth a look
The Telex Legacy products are similar to the HME systems for coaches, but being wireless they might get expensive for a simple four person party-line system compared to a wired solution.

The comms system used for filming Woodstock apparently used quite literally a board with nails in it put together on site and located under the stage as a terminal strip for distributing the power and tying all the headsets together.

Yeah, I am liking the DIY idea, but if I find a cheap enough system ill get it. Four headsets with mute switch, maybe one wireless if possible for stage. Because the only problem I am seeing with DIY ones is that the on stage ones will have to be wireless as the how is the SM supposed to be walking around with a wire?

Yeah, I am liking the DIY idea, but if I find a cheap enough system ill get it. Four headsets with mute switch, maybe one wireless if possible for stage. Because the only problem I am seeing with DIY ones is that the on stage ones will have to be wireless as the how is the SM supposed to be walking around with a wire?

Cheap Wireless is unreliable at best. YOU DO NOT want it for a show.

The SM will cope the way they have done for years, with a long cable and going off comms if things are particuarly complex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back