Suggestions for live recording system

I hate to bump a year-old thread, but here's a bit of finality. The system was finally installed this summer (early June). It consists of:

(2) SM-81s in an X-Y config flown approximately even with the top of the proscenium (18-20 feet) from the deck about 7 feet DS of the opening.

(8) AT 853s - 2 on the thrust, 3 on each the 1st and 2nd electric roughly 10-12 off deck.

They're run back and terminated in the main sound rack located in the booth FOH with a custom patch panel. We received a Denon DN-F650R solid-state recorder. For the basic setup, we'll generally take 2 Aux Sends from the mixer into the recorder.

Primarily, it will be used as a relatively simple ambient recording system due to a short supply of tech staff/vols. Any suggestions on making the system more versatile in the future assuming I can get more hands on deck? Firewire/USB devices, etc...

Hopefully you didn't spend all of that $7000 on that setup... That should do what you want. I can't think of any way to make it more versatile. It is what it is; if you want something different then.... that's something different.

Hopefully you didn't spend all of that $7000 on that setup... That should do what you want. I can't think of any way to make it more versatile. It is what it is; if you want something different then.... that's something different.

I should clarify. It wasn't our money, it was the music department's money that they wanted to use for that system. It ended up being $6,700 which I thought was over-priced, but we don't have many options for competing pro sound installation companies in this neck of the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back