Wireless Suggestions of what to buy & why? Wireless lavaliers

The local high school (550 seat theater, concrete block limited sound dampening) I help out at as some older Shure PGXd14 packs/receivers with WL-93 mics (mirco lavalier). We are looking to purchase several new wireless lavaliers this year. Any suggestions and why?

Should we stick with the Shure PGX/WL93 series or upgrade to a Shure SLX or ULX system? Or go with an entirely different manufacturer?

thanks for the help.

The local high school (550 seat theater, concrete block limited sound dampening) I help out at as some older Shure PGXd14 packs/receivers with WL-93 mics (mirco lavalier). We are looking to purchase several new wireless lavaliers this year. Any suggestions and why?

Should we stick with the Shure PGX/WL93 series or upgrade to a Shure SLX or ULX system? Or go with an entirely different manufacturer?

thanks for the help.

I can only speak to my experience and knowledge base which is with Sennheiser. We're a similar sized house (592) but have pretty good acoustics. Especially if you're working with amateur and school performers (middle or high school), a big benefit is the metal housing on both handhelds and bodypacks. Shure and other brands utilize plastic which, while light-weight, seems more prone to normal wear and tear often found in these settings.

Pricing, you'll find systems with similar features have close price points between Sennheiser and Shure. The G3 100 series runs approximately $600 whereas the 300 series is around $850 (receiver, transmitter, cheap lav). Repair wise, we've only had to send in one receiver to be fixed in the 10 years I've been working at our PAC. It was one of the G2s that were purchased 7-8 years ago. It was fixed by Sennnheiser for $60 or so, not bad.

Personally, we have 17 Sennheiser systems..11 G3 (10 - 100 Series, 1 - 300 Series), 5 G2, and 1 of the first generation that is still working fine. The only thing I wish I would have done was get all 300 series with the new G3 units we just got. The big plus is the networking feature. Especially if you have a large system like we do, anytime you need to re-program, it makes it more cumbersome with the 100s that you have to do manually.

As far as lavs, we got away from those a long time ago..just too many problems (both inherent and part of the setting). We have Countryman E6s and, while they are about $330 a piece, the quality is second-to-none. The only issue we've had is the strain relief where it connects to the bodypack is extremely susceptible to breakage. As a result, we end up buying the 2mm Duramax replacement cables and replacing the native 1 mm cables as needed.

Last edited:
I can only speak to my experience and knowledge base which is with Sennheiser. We're a similar sized house (592) but have pretty good acoustics. Especially if you're working with amateur and school performers (middle or high school), a big benefit is the metal housing on both handhelds and bodypacks. Shure and other brands utilize plastic which, while light-weight, seems more prone to normal wear and tear often found in these settings.

Pricing, you'll find systems with similar features have close price points between Sennheiser and Shure. The G3 100 series runs approximately $600 whereas the 300 series is around $850 (receiver, transmitter, cheap lav). Repair wise, we've only had to send in one receiver to be fixed in the 10 years I've been working at our PAC. It was one of the G2s that were purchased 7-8 years ago. It was fixed by Sennnheiser for $60 or so, not bad.

Personally, we have 17 Sennheiser systems..11 G3 (10 - 100 Series, 1 - 300 Series), 5 G2, and 1 of the first generation that is still working fine. The only thing I wish I would have done was get all 300 series with the new G3 units we just got. The big plus is the networking feature. Especially if you have a large system like we do, anytime you need to re-program, it makes it more cumbersome with the 100s that you have to do manually.

As far as lavs, we got away from those a long time ago..just too many problems (both inherent and part of the setting). We have Countryman E6s and, while they are about $330 a piece, the quality is second-to-none. The only issue we've had is the strain relief where it connects to the bodypack is extremely susceptible to breakage. As a result, we end up buying the 2mm Duramax replacement cables and replacing the native 1 mm cables as needed.

Seconded on both accounts. We use EW100G2s and G3s in our 500 seat venue with Countryman E6s and E6is. Never looking back.

I use Shure UHF-R systems with another venue, and they're amazing. But from my experience, Shure's cheap stuff is as bad as their good stuff is good. I've never done well with budget Shure equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back