Sunn SC 28-S

Hey all. I just found out that a Sunn SC 28-S Lighting control unit might find its way into my hands. Now, I've never used Sunn gear and I can't seem to find anything online about this product, so I ask you. Does anybody know anything about this board? Just curious.

Do you have any leads for us at all? =(

Can't find the company at all, and can't find anything searching for the model either...

All I know so far is that it's a 2 scene setup, and it sounds like it's controlboard/dimmer all in one with a stage snake attached. It was sitting in a college's storage space, and they decided to do some cleaning, so I'm ending up with this, and maybe a few older par 56's.

Sunn was a brand in the 1980s sold in musical stores. A small step above the typical DJ gear of the time. I think they made audio gear as well. I used one for a show where MIDI implementation was critical, and never had a problem with it. As I recall, the one I had allowed stored scenes as well as channels to be called via MIDI notes, this was well before MSC.

edit: Control Booth's search engine returns 7 hits, including this thread.

Last edited:
well, if this ends up being anything like that, I'm at least kind of excited. Anything for free is just cool. But anything cool for free is just awesome, and this is free, and it sounds cool. If nothing else, I can use it as a learning tool for new techs. I'm still a little baffled as to how there is absolutely nothing about this brand online, though.

I can help on this one, as I have some of the Sunn lighting products. Sunn was apparently a well known amp made in the late 1960's, see
Fender-Amp.com. It seems that Fender tookoover operations. See this url: SUNN® Support for some contact info.

Also see The sunn Discussion Page - Index
There is a specific mention of a similar board at i Have a lighting board by SUNN

Not to rain on your parade--but:
I have a PLC 816 in deep storage, but I absolutely hate it. It is a simple 2 scene, no memory type board. It can not do dipless crossfades (like newer units do). As you fade between scene I & II ALL the lights will all "go down a little" as the fader approaches the mid point (50% level), then they will go back up as the fader approaches the endpoint--even if new the cue is at a higher level. There is no way around that--the lights will always go dim for a moment as you change scenes.

The other drawback of this system is that it uses a proprietary data signalling format, the "SUNN protocol". It is similar to, but not exactly microplex. That means you can only use Sunn dimmer packs--which are getting hard to find.
I do believe there is a guy on eBay that makes a protocol converter for Sunn-->LMX (multiplex). And don't even TRY to plug a DMX controlled unit into this system--especially if you have a Sunn dimmer pack already on the data line. I am fairly certain the Sunn protocol sends 12-15vDC down one of the conductors.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find specific info for your unit. But, I hope this baseline info helps.

-John A

Thanks John; a couple of points. The one I used, I think in 1989, did provide a dipless crossfade, and spoke either DMX512 (CMX) or AMX192 (CD80), as we were using Colortran D192 packs with it. I don't recall using any protocol converters (or "magic boxes" as we called them then).

The person on ebay selling converters may well have been long-dormant CB Senior Team Emeritus, DMXtools, whose website is/was DMX-tools Co. home.

tweetersaway, now you have us intrigued. Once you get the board, please let us know how/if it works, and post pictures.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/dmxtools.html

A little more background on this board: I'm not sure what year this board was purchased, but for a while it was the main board in the theatre department at the college. when they upgraded, they still used the board as a portable rig for other random uses around campus until recently where it's just been sitting in the basement. This spring, the basememnt was in danger of flooding because we had a lot more rain than usual, so they hauled it all up and left it in the theatre. Well, when the fall term started, they needed to get rid of stuff, so they did.
I'm hoping that the crossfade doesn't dip. I don't think they would keep a board very long that does, because one of their strengths is the theatre department, but I really have no idea. Apparently, it's in a big box, and the friend who picked it up for me said that she didn't dare try to take it out, so I'm kinda nervous, but excited all at once. As soon as I get it and test it out, I'll put up a full report. With pictures. Pictures are always good.

Speaking of pictures, a short video of the one and only time I've ever used a Sunn lightboard (the show to which I referred above) here: www.derekleffew.com - DNA, A Symphony in Four Notes. It worked flawlessly, up to ten shows per day, all summer.

edit: I think the one I used was a Sunn PLC3200. There's one currently on ebay.

As the photo below shows, it spoke SunnPlex, AMX192, and DMX512. And most importantly for my application, MIDI. Quite an accomplishment for such a modest console in 1989.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I didn't know they were the same company. Sunn made a bass amp and cabinet that was really loud. I have the ear damage to prove it. Or it could have been the twin Marshall stack the rhythm guitarist insisted on using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back