Conventional Fixtures Super Trouper maintenance

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to re-align the douser on a Super Trouper. I can see that the two sections of the douser are supposed to fit together with the top shutter slightly in front of the bottom, with the lip covering up the gap.
The unit in question seems to have slipped out of alignment a little; Any tips?
Greatly Appreciated,
Ted

With the entire front shroud off, using a pair of pliers, bend or straighten the connecting rods a little at a time, thus shortened or lengthening each rod. Test after each bend, closing both fast and slow. It will take many adjustments, but you'll get there eventually.

Another tip: if the douser is too loose or stiff, tighten or loosen the pivot nut at the top, with a 6" c-wrench accessed thru the "chopper" hole. Don't make it too tight, or the douser will become inoperable once the unit heats up.

One last note on the "cleaning" issue. First, check to see if it even needs cleaning!
With the lamp off, open the iris, open the douser, and shine a flashlight through the front lens while looking into the lens. You should be able to see right to the electrode. Everything look clean and shiny? Good! Go home!

Things like lamp rotation, checking for clean ventilation are all important, but sometimes we can get carried away with optics cleaning. Usually a good thing, but in this case you are cleaning a grenade.

Somehow I've missed the rotate the lamp 90 degrees every 250 hours. What is the purpose?

Somehow I've missed the rotate the lamp 90 degrees every 250 hours. What is the purpose?

Heat and gravity take their toll. Rotating the lamp distributes the thermal stress as the lamp ages. Also, it helps disperse the blackening which also amplifies the thermal stress as the darker areas absorb more heat. If you have a lamp that is well into its life and has never been rotated, I wouldn't start now, but if you are starting with a new lamp, it's good to rotate it every 250.

I think one of the things that makes an old lamp unstable at the end of it's life is the accumulated stress pattern created by the top to bottom temperature difference.

Of course, this all has to be weighed against the fact that any handling of the lamp increases the chance that you will be exposed to an explosive event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back