Installs Suspending Line Arrays w/ Genie Super Towers

Ideally we could have get the points setup after we talk to the structural engineer, but the problem is that the location is directly above our orchestra pit covers. That means we can't drive a scissor lift over it because it weighs too much. Although, if we purchase a good one-man lift we can get high enough to hook the chains up each time.

I

Why not just purchase two chain hoists and invert them so then you can just lower the chains down when you need them. We do this in some of out permanent venues where we have contracts to supply the sound then we don't have to constantly bring a rigger out or rent a lift. Also if possible and you do arena you don't necessarily need to rent a lift if you can get to the steel you can get a rigger to pull your points and you can just make "rock and roll baskets" we do this a lot when in big arenas. It works great and saves a lot of money when all you have to do is get a local rigger.

Why not just purchase two chain hoists and invert them so then you can just lower the chains down when you need them. We do this in some of out permanent venues where we have contracts to supply the sound then we don't have to constantly bring a rigger out or rent a lift. Also if possible and you do arena you don't necessarily need to rent a lift if you can get to the steel you can get a rigger to pull your points and you can just make "rock and roll baskets" we do this a lot when in big arenas. It works great and saves a lot of money when all you have to do is get a local rigger.

Thats the "Motor Up" option mentioned above. If you did do this, you would have to do two per side as most array rigging takes two points to hang it properly.

Thats the "Motor Up" option mentioned above. If you did do this, you would have to do two per side as most array rigging takes two points to hang it properly.

Without violating ToS, can you go into more detail on rigging arrays? The roadhouses I've worked with have only ever flown arrays with one chain hoist per array. Even groups who have came through venues I've worked at and haven't flown all of their speakers for their arrays didn't have additional chain motors with them. I've worked with a few different Milwaukee/Madison area audio companies who have also flown arrays without more than one chain motor. (this is at least in reference to small/mid-sized arrays for <800 seat venues)

I want to make certain were talking about the same scale, so for arrays under 1200lbs, would you use two smaller chain hoists per array or would you use one larger hoist? And is it a structural integrity preference or for more control over the direction the array is pointing?

It really does depend on your array size. For a smaller one, one can probably do it. However, most people like to have two motors to control the pitch of the array. One motor on the downstage side, one on the upstage side. Its been awhile since I have been around to see an array go up in a theatre, but that is what I have seen done.

Now, if people who have come in and in the area fly theirs with one point, there is nothing wrong with that if the array weighs less then the motor can handle. It is a bit easier from what I have seen to position an array with two motors.

It really just comes down to the size of the array in your venue.

In a theatre you probably won't have any arrays that would "need" more than one motor but many guys like to use two to keep it from spining. If there is a way to tieline the spekers to focus then in most cases you can do it with one motor. There is no big secret of rigging to decide what size motor to use, just figure the weight and use the appropriate motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back