Switched XLR socket - does it exist?

A 3pin version of this? Neutrik - Audio - A Series - NC5FAV-SW Perhaps some massaging of the model number will yield a 3pin version.

No they don't make a 3-pin version. But might it be worth it to get a couple of the 5-pin switched models (NC5FAV-SW) and a couple of the 3-pin non-switched models (NC3FAV) and try to swap the centers?

Or look at how the switch is mounted on the 5-pin model, then get a 3-pin model and add your own micro-switch? It would involve a Dremel or similar tool and some time, but it could be done. ;)

Neutrik 5-Pin XLR Switched.jpg

If you google for "XLR A/B switch" you will see some products listed. They aren't cheap, and you do have to throw a switch one way or the other, but it's pretty simple and intuitive.

Otherwise I think you just want to use a normalling jack as used in patchbays. Such jacks are usually only provided as TRS ... if you must have XLR inputs, then provide an XLR-to-TRS along with the normalled jack.

As a designer, I have certain "signature" elements to the way that I construct a design, and that's part of what makes me different to every other person on the planet - any system is going to have some hallmarks of the way the designer thinks embedded into it...

So yes I can do things like signal level detection, but frankly I don't want to.
I want something that's simple, mechanical and most importantly reliable.

One of the design options looking likely is that I'll be using Apart Audio SDQ-5PIR speakers which have 2 inputs, one of which will connect to the AV system and the other will connect directly to the line input XLRs.
I need to tell Crestron when something is plugged in so it can issue the relevant RS232 for the SDQs to change inputs.

There is no Crestron gear in the audio chain at that point nor do I want any extra gear to be in that chain. A mechanical switch that when it goes connected sends a signal high in Cres which then triggers an RS232 command and triggers another command upon removal is trivially simple to implement.
KISS Principle applies here...

I'm going to say this and probably get banned, but as someone that tours many different facilities per year a "signature design element" often translates to "non-standard" way of solving a common problem/issue.

What happens when the simple mechanical switch you propose fails or becomes stuck in an undesired position? Now your signature element no longer has an easy work around and now everyone is screwed.

Several folks have offered reasonable more standard solutions including a simple a/b switch, to a level sensing system.

While I respect your desire to put your own spin on the system, perhaps there is a reason your suggested method is not readily available?? I would much rather have a standard solution so WHEN an issue arises it doesn't stop the venue in its tracks waiting for another special order part to be located.

I know this is not the feedback you asked for, but there are a lot of bright folks here.

Might I point out this discussion started 2 and a half years ago, the project was installed a long time ago...

So what was the final verdict

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to remember exactly...
I think the client ended up changing the project scope and it became an XLR patch panel locked in a cupboard somewhere that gets manually repatched the few times a year they need to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back