Switching to ETC ION...need some help

In response to the original questions, you should definitely get the training with the console. If you have logged hours on the Ion or other Eos family consoles, then it may be less necessary, but if you hvaen't or if you have other potential users who haven't, then you will want it.

The Eos platform is very different from Express(ion), the biggest change will be moving from a cue-only/preset desk to a tracking desk. Once you wrap your head around it, you will never want to go back, but the switch is big. So make sure that you study up on tracking and how it works. Watch the videos that have been referenced in this thread, and your console will probably come with a tutorial DVD that may be handy. If you learn better by doing, then just make sure you get adequate time in front of the console when you get it and ask the trainer as many questions as you can think of. Most of the trainers are happy to answer question after they leave as well either by phone, text, or email.

As far as displays go, I am a Gio driver and I have three touch screens. I think it is totally worth it, but we own a handful of moving lights and other devices. On Ion I could see wanting one or two as it will save some navigation of menus and softkey layers. Of course if you use MLs and other devices frequently, then having quick access to things like direct selects may be useful. Totally a personal preference thing.

As far as ease of use for other people like choir directors, Ion is very configurable. You can create the looks that people need and put them on faders. You could set up a page of faders that are choir looks, a page for band looks, and so on. You can make it simple to operate for whoever needs to use it. I am sure you can find a setup that works for you and is easy for others to understand.

thanks for ALL of the responses. I have read the manual (a few times) now and watched the 2 included DVD's. We also have 8 hours of training from an ETC rep coming up as well. I finally have some down time in the theatre, to actually make the hardware changover from the Expression to the ION. Looks pretty straight forward..however, the Epxression has a 6 pin plug into the ETClink, and goes into the wall port ETCLINK....the ION has no such plug in on it..I assume the ETCLINK just becomes unused?? THe only other connections are the DMX 1, DMX 2 and power.

THanks
dan

thanks for ALL of the responses. I have read the manual (a few times) now and watched the 2 included DVD's. We also have 8 hours of training from an ETC rep coming up as well. I finally have some down time in the theatre, to actually make the hardware changover from the Expression to the ION. Looks pretty straight forward..however, the Epxression has a 6 pin plug into the ETClink, and goes into the wall port ETCLINK....the ION has no such plug in on it..I assume the ETCLINK just becomes unused?? THe only other connections are the DMX 1, DMX 2 and power.

THanks
dan

ETC Link was a somewhat basic talkback system from the Sensor dimmer rack to the consoles (Expression series and Obsession) and went away with the CEM+ control modules as well as the Eos family console. The current system provides for a basic talkback via an ETC Ethernet connection between the racks and dimmer - IF you have one. Thus I believe there is no method of using the Link function (did you ?) on the Ion, without upgrading the dimmer rack electronic modules and installing a basic E-net backbone for the connection to the console. Not cheap and maybe not useful in your situation.

EDIT:

DuckJordan wrote:

"Actually a touch screen can save an hours worth of programming time if you have it set up right. We had one at the college and i could take half off programming time with the touch screens."

Ditto.

My 3 console programmers frequently work elsewhere and whenever they encounter an Ion without touch screens, they always tell me about it the experience, starting with the comment "It was an Ion, but didn't have touch screens".

Last edited:
Well, it's interesting now that I am installing a new board...I have been looking more closely at the input panel on the wall under the counter where the board is located. Currently our Expression 72/144 connect to that panel via the following: DMX 1, DMX 2, and ETCLink. HOWEVER, there is ALSO another input as well on that panel, and that is ETCNet (using a serial type connection) We've NEVER used that input port off the Expression.....So, should I connect to it with the new ION...or just connect the DMX 1, DMX 2 and leave the rest alone???

Dan

Well, it's interesting now that I am installing a new board...I have been looking more closely at the input panel on the wall under the counter where the board is located. Currently our Expression 72/144 connect to that panel via the following: DMX 1, DMX 2, and ETCLink. HOWEVER, there is ALSO another input as well on that panel, and that is ETCNet (using a serial type connection) We've NEVER used that input port off the Expression.....So, should I connect to it with the new ION...or just connect the DMX 1, DMX 2 and leave the rest alone???

Dan

When you say "serial type" is it an RJ45 Ethernet jack or a BNC video type plug ?.

It's probable that it's a vestigial ETC Net1 connection point, which would have been used if you wanted to use a Net1 Remote Video Interface (or similar device) in an on-stage or in-theater designers work desk. There's likely a similar jack backstage somewhere. The legacy RVI's provided remote console video as well as an input for a focus remote.

If it's an RJ45 connection, it can still be used with any ETC Net2 or 3 Node/Gateway as needed, as in, you can connect a Cat5 cable from the Ion to the local jack, and at the "other end" connect a Gateway to output DMX where desired. This might be useful to you in the future should you desire to add moving lights or LED fixtures.

In any event, it sounds like the dimmers are still wanting to see the DMX off the console, so you will want to connect from the DMX outputs on the Ion to the DMX 5 pin XLR wall jacks on the input panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back