Tab / Traveller rigging Help needed.

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Imagine if you will, a Curtain 16' tall and 40 some odd feet wide. Constructed of Vans favorite material, Tricot. It acts as a scrim, then opens as a tab in the second scene, then at the end of the act it opens all the way as a traveller.....
Folks I'm kinda stumped. I got the traveller rigging no prob. I understand tab rigging, but to tab then travel?
Anyone done this before ?

Your dimensions are not your friend with the tabbing feature. Tabs work better with your height being taller than your width. If you only want to have the first 10' of the curtain tab open that might work better. The tab line could be linked with one of the carriers at the appropriate point. The tab line would be separate from the traveller line and would end up going slack when the curtain opens up as a traveller. You might need to have the SR and SL tabs operate independently to make this work with the travelller. I have not done this, but those are my thoughts.
I think the annoying thing will be seeing the tab line and rings when the curtain is lit from behind and I don't know how you'd get around that.

Good luck,
Tim Combs
Technical Director
The Theatre School at DePaul University

... You might need to have the SR and SL tabs operate independently to make this work with the travelller. I have not done this, but those are my thoughts.
I think the annoying thing will be seeing the tab line and rings when the curtain is lit from behind and I don't know how you'd get around that.

Good luck,
Tim Combs
Technical Director
The Theatre School at DePaul University

Good, then I'm not crazy! Well, er, umm. At least I didn't think wrong about this. We are having the same thoughts. Yeah seeing the trick line is something we just can't avoid. I'm hoping it will get lost in the riot of colors that will be revealed. I'll post some pics later.

Imagine ....a Curtain ....... It acts as a scrim, then opens as a tab ....[then].... opens all the way as a traveller.....

This is an interesting problem. My suggestions, and they are just that, suggestions, as I have never had the need to actually do this specific gag, are as follows.

First, I'll "assume" (hate that word) (hate to admit that I sometimes "assume") that the traveler action is bi-parting on center and not one-way or off center. Step one is to layout and determine where the tab action will be and where the pick points and rings will need to be located. At the point where the tab lift line meets the track, insert a scenery carrier between the two single carriers that hold the curtain. Both ADC and H&H make versions. As you are on the west coast and I'm pretty sure there is an H&H dealer in Portland, that might be the best bet. Do not attach the scenery carrier to the curtain. When the curtain is in the full closed position, it will rest against the nearest carrier on the off stage side. In the offstage or stacked position it will simply be between the respective carriers and increase the stack space by it's length. In motion it will ride with the other carriers as the curtain is opened and closed. Rigidly attach a pulley, about 2" to 3" to the carrier in such a way it will not pivot. At the off stage end, mount a similar pulley to the end of the batten if it is beyond the end of the track. Otherwise, rig a batten extension that is about 12" to 18" past the end of the track. Place additional scenery carriers on roughly 5' or 6' centers on the track. Mount simple, smooth, zinc plated eye bolts in the carriers to act as guides and supports for the tab op line. The scenery carriers will simply act as slave carriers between the actual curtain carriers in both directions.

The tricot fabric is probably too light to make the "Tab" fully close and you may need to add a small sash weight to the curtain bottom hem where the tab line attaches. In addition, when closing the curtain, the weight of the tab line or friction in the rigging might cause the curtain to be slightly "tabbed" when it is closed. Working some slack loops into the tab line before closing will cure this.

If the tab line is released in a controlled manner as the traveler opens, the curtain should self align, and with out too much slack loops forming the the tab line. Otherwise, the tab op line should just form big swoops between the eye-bolt carriers if the curtain is worked as a draw curtain without tabbing first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back