Techie sayings

Nice one's guys, the one my school uses the most is do it in the dark.

We just started a new one yesterday cheesy yes but "Join the dark side" We converted an actor ;)

Hmm. We have many variations of "if you piss us off, you'll be taking your bow in the dark." As well as "What's not working today?"

But our new favourite one after a weird conversation is: "If you don't have thumbs, you can't join lighting crew."

And most importantly, something yelled every time non-techies are in the theater: "DON'T TAP THE MICS"
Oh high school....

We always use "Chuckas" which is teh Australian version of "Break a Leg"....we also put our hands in and yell "what time is it.......it's Peanut Butter Jelly Time".....not sure how that one started????????? LOL

Hmm. We have many variations of "if you piss us off, you'll be taking your bow in the dark." As well as "What's not working today?"

But our new favourite one after a weird conversation is: "If you don't have thumbs, you can't join lighting crew."

And most importantly, something yelled every time non-techies are in the theater: "DON'T TAP THE MICS"
Oh high school....

Is that usually a problem? :p

I sometimes say "break a light" or "break a lamp"... but then even the other techies just tell me it's stupid and I need to stop talking...

We always use "Chuckas" which is teh Australian version of "Break a Leg"....we also put our hands in and yell "what time is it.......it's Peanut Butter Jelly Time".....not sure how that one started????????? LOL

We have "What time is it....NO PANTS O'CLOCK"
(It's a great big long story that involves the taking off of ones pants before every evening performance, to ease stress)

Load out? More like load in. Or even nice stops when I meet the tour manager, and he tells me what he wants. I then tell him what he's gonna get. But that's a topic for the punching bag.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys have a lot of kick-butt phrases haha~

Usually before the show opens, its customary (in my high school) for all of the actors to sit in the audience seats and talk in front of the stage with the director. However, being a lighting techie I am usually back stage with the crew. We hold hands in the middle and our stage manager chants at us and vice-versa. He yells, "When I say drama you say club! DRAMA!" Then we would yell "CLUB" And that would go on for about a minute haha. It gets us pumped for the show.

By the way.. I loved the phrase above about, "Actors are just props with dialogue" Awesome...

For a orchestra show a while ago the director got pissed at me. All I gave them for lighting was a N/C wash and a little color from our Red and Blue Pars. We then got into a disagreement about the offstage works being off. They cast ugly shadows from the legs, but he couldnt see them and wanted them on for the show. He then yelled at me from across the house "this is NOT a lighting show"
That has turned into our joke. When we are in meeting talking about simple shows we call them "not lighting shows" We have also started saying "its not a curtain show" or "its not a sound show." For one show the band hadn't showed up until just before Go. So we said "wow, this might just be a lighting show"

:rolleyes: Sounds really lame typing it... Guess you had to be there

For a orchestra show a while ago the director got pissed at me. All I gave them for lighting was a N/C wash and a little color from our Red and Blue Pars. We then got into a disagreement about the offstage works being off. They cast ugly shadows from the legs, but he couldnt see them and wanted them on for the show. He then yelled at me from across the house "this is NOT a lighting show"
That has turned into our joke. When we are in meeting talking about simple shows we call them "not lighting shows" We have also started saying "its not a curtain show" or "its not a sound show." For one show the band hadn't showed up until just before Go. So we said "wow, this might just be a lighting show"

:rolleyes: Sounds really lame typing it... Guess you had to be there

Haha, no, That's awesome, I now want to do that at my school,

But no one would get it so I'd have to explain it out, THEN it'd be lame.

"Ugghhh, yeah, some guy on a forum told me about this..."

"If you don't move you die, and if you die it's your fault."

ha, I've lived by that one. When you see a huge freaking flat coming towards you, move. It's really not that hard of a concept (though some actors may disagree).

"Actor's giving you a hard time? Okay, put the lights on full"

"Gaffe tap=life"

"If you ever mention The Scottish Play you will never step foot in this theatre again."

"Ghosts, no I don't believe in them (thoughts: but if I ever was in here alone I would)"

At my high school, it was traditionally "break a leg" until someone actually broke their leg in the PAC, so it was changed to "peel an orange".

HAHAHAHA!!..... wow... That's pretty amazing, I'm not gonna lie. How'd y'all come up with that of all things?

"If you ever mention The Scottish Play you will never step foot in this theatre again."

Yeah, I'd be outta the job if we did that. The last show, our musical, I stage managed. Rehearsals weren't going very well so I said "Macbeth" at least 3 times as an act of faith that we'd still have butt-kickin' shows. First one went alright, second show went a little better. 3rd/Final was pretty much perfect.

The phrase we used for the school show we just pulled off in 3 months. (We usually spend more time planning musicals.) is "We'll figure it out in the end..."

We also constantly get fired and hired. I guess our "TD" at my highschool is constantly suprising us with phrases. A dress rehearsal for the school show in which all the wireless mics were acting funny she ran to the audio booth and screamed "I will give you seventy thousand dollars if you hit your next cue!" as well as "Good enough for government work..."

Somebody was commending me on a job well done since I'll be head of the school's lighting crew next year. The problem is nobody ever sat me down and taught me how to run the lighting board. (I've spent a year pretty much only learning from example.)
"She knows audio like the back of her hand, and lights like the bottom of her foot."

Mostly before shows we shout "Don't **** up! Have fun!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back