Control/Dimming Temporary Install - Dimmer Connected to Dimmer?

One of those articles referred to "heater" and output transformers and while 6 amps - like 1500 volts - which would seem to get to decent wattage when stepped down. I'll confess - I never got into the electronics behind thyratrons.
The high voltage stepped down would make sense. One of the problems is even when the tube is in conduction they have a very large "drop voltage" along the lines of 30 to 50 volts. If operating in a 120 volt circuit, the lamps would have never made it past 50%. 50 out of 1500 is a whole different story! Mercury based tubes have less of a drop voltage but would not drop out of conduction even at ZVC, basically turning into mercury vapor lamps!

OK - a little follow up. I asked Duane Wilson who worked in Izenour's lab and is generally pretty knowledgeable about theatre technology. I suspect he serviced the GCI thyratron tube dimming system in the Ex at Yale. I asked:

"...got into a discussion of thyratron dimmers. It seems that some thyratron tube dimmers were actually using the tube to control the saturation coil in a mag amp dimmer. I thought the Izenour thyratron actually controlled the power – but it’s a little vague trying to google this. I assume they did work at high voltage and lower current, requiring a transformer for the feed and individual transformers for the outputs?"

and Duane replied:

"Yes, both schemes of thyatron control were used. The use to control saturation in a transformer, a mag amp it was called, was developed in the US by GE and until the late 70's Radio City Music Hall used the GE mag amp design. These thyratons were small radio tube sized. That scheme was used from about 1932-33 into the 1950's. I know of a theater in Hobbs, NM that had mag amps still in use in the 60's that were installed late 50's..

The GCI scheme was to use the thyraton to directly control the current, possible because between the early 30's and 39, larger thyratrons became available. These were used to control heat lamps for baking auto finishes in the body factories among other things. There was no load transformer in the GCI design, the tubes controlled the current to the load directly, just like SCRs. The GCI design did use small transformers on the control side. Because of the voltage drop across the tubes, you did have to have a large transformer ahead of the dimmer rack that was tapped to provide a line voltage of about 135-140 volts AC."

I love how threads can go so OT on this site. I mean how likely is it this guy has a tube dimmer? But I do see all sorts of stuff in the field. So I will tell a story maybe related to the topic.

I was called out to a country club where they have this should-have-been-replaced-long-ago architectural dimmer system that I had some familiarity with. They were retrofitting the lighting in one room with LEDs.

"We didn't like the old control panel so we wired our controllers where the old panel was using the circuit from the architectural system. It was working for about two months and then went dead. We measure power until we connect the LEDs and then it goes away." The electrician said.

I said, "Gee, the system probably got reset. This circuit is now off and there is no panel to turn it back on again. Do you have the old panel?". Long silence.

I bypassed the power cube for that circuit and they still use the rest of the old system. So wiring a dimmer after a dimmer might work for a while until it doesn't.

I love how threads can go so OT on this site. I mean how likely is it this guy has a tube dimmer?

I was thinking the same thing. This thread probably should have been broken in to two separate topics a few weeks ago. However, I will confidently state that no, it is not a good idea to power a dimmer from a dimmer. Even if OP has a dimmer old enough to have been mentioned in this thread, he should probably stop using it anyway.

I was thinking the same thing. This thread probably should have been broken in to two separate topics a few weeks ago. However, I will confidently state that no, it is not a good idea to power a dimmer from a dimmer. Even if OP has a dimmer old enough to have been mentioned in this thread, he should probably stop using it anyway.
It is about a one show rental gig. I'd have no problem powering contemporary lighting from through an auto transformer or resistance dimmer in this case.

Reactions: Les
I forgot this was a one-off thing, which changes my perspective a bit. Granted, I doubt the OP was dealing with a resistance dimmer, but it was a fun discussion nonetheless. I don't think we helped OP much, but that's mostly his own fault since he never returned with more information.

I forgot this was a one-off thing, which changes my perspective a bit. Granted, I doubt the OP was dealing with a resistance dimmer, but it was a fun discussion nonetheless. I don't think we helped OP much, but that's mostly his own fault since he never returned with more information.
I doubt they are resistance too, nor thyratron nor salt water, though I'll bet there are a couple thyratrons and mag amps out there. Auto-transformers are definitely still out there - saw one not long ago.

So if non-dmx, does that mean solid state dimmers with analog control? 0-10? Not sure how total cost would go but there are DMX to analog converters. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back