The future of lamps, (and fixtures, and therefore, Everything), and also an upgrade q

Re: The future of lamps, (and fixtures, and therefore, Everything), and also an upgra

Again as with the Selcon Pacific... what a three for one S-4 type of price range, and or given pricing how Altman became popular over Strand.
Not quite a fair comparison. Most LED instruments include integrated dimming making the math on price comparisons a little fuzzy to say the least. Total cost of ownership (TCO) may be fairly comparable when relamp costs, power savings, dimming, electrical distribution and HVAC load are taken into account. The price/performance is not yet justifiable for a retrofit or addition to an existing facility but is worth considering for a new facility or if one is near the limit on available power or dimmer capacity.

Re: The future of lamps, (and fixtures, and therefore, Everything), and also an upgra

I'm curious to know what the consensus view is regarding the future of lamp technology in the long term. Principally in regards to how efforts to use more energy efficient technology might effect the methods we, as theater lighting designers/stage electricians, use to produce the light we design our productions with.

I'm thinking long term (like 20 years)

I've heard rumors about bans on conventional halogen bulbs coming down the legislative pipe in the distant future. I know that the potential technologies that we might replace them with (LED, HMI/HEI) don't/cant talk the same way a S4 does.

I'm currently advising one of the community groups that I work with about upgrading their systems. The options appear to be A) spend $2,500/4,000 on a used ETC express. or B) Go all out and spend $6K on an Element.

My thinking is that it would make more sense to spend the 6K on the Element because when and if halogen bulbs go the way of the dodo, an Element would be better suited to deal with new types of fixtures then an express.

Am I wrong?

This thread has sparked an interesting and important discussion about the implications of new light sources on theatre infrastructure. I spoke on this very subject at the International Theatre Engineering and Architecture Conference (ITEAC) in London last month.

I'm attaching the outline of some of the points I touched on in that discussion.

I think your console choice is clear--if at all possible, find the money for an Element. If someone offered you a good deal on a 386 PC, would you buy it? Buying an Express in 2010 is a similar move.

ST

Attachments

• Modern Lighting Systems.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 207

Not quite a fair comparison. Most LED instruments include integrated dimming making the math on price comparisons a little fuzzy to say the least. Total cost of ownership (TCO) may be fairly comparable when relamp costs, power savings, dimming, electrical distribution and HVAC load are taken into account. The price/performance is not yet justifiable for a retrofit or addition to an existing facility but is worth considering for a new facility or if one is near the limit on available power or dimmer capacity.

So the final cost is cheaper.... perhaps you get some guy with a pickum up truck wanderning the neighborhood in search of stuff he can take to the scrap yard... Perhaps he gives cash for all these dimmers now obsolete. Copper scrap price in them for what you have alone surely worth the price in converting to the new system. Fuzzy math? Ok... you already have such dimmers needed so as to dim lights. Good retrofit end response. New place without dimmers.. perhap - this assuming the CRI and what is the name of the even more modern table for rating LED's is? Fake light at this point in my opinion none the less. Fuzzy math is my problem in replying to this.

New system... perhaps sure the LED style lighting in hoping it becomes realistic in lighting. Retrofit... worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back