The Rigging "Line"

bobgaggle

After looking over some old threads on rigging safety I wanted to know this community's opinion about rigging. IMO there are many different degrees of rigging in theatre, from simply tying a drop onto a pipe all the way up to installing new line sets. When I was in school almost all of my rigging knowledge came from hands on experience with my teachers in a theater. We learned all the basics: how to properly load an arbor, hang a sandbag (one of our theatres was a hemp house), hang a new pipe, attach whatever set piece to said pipe etc. In my experience these are all tasks that a technician would and should know.

The way I see it, there are things that a competent technician can do safely and there are things that they cant. My question is where to draw the line between the two. This forum has clearly said "if you're not sure, call a pro", and has had many discussions regarding liability and responsibility, but at what point does the TD or whoever say, "I know what I'm doing, but this should be done by someone certified."

I ask this because I've kind of confused myself. I recently got a few more books (mech. design for the stage, rigging math, structural design for stage) in an effort to stay fresh on the knowledge I'm not using currently in my job. (we have an 11' ceiling so we're hardly doing any rigging). In Rigging Math, I've learned how to compute the stresses on the legs of a bridle. In school I learned about proper safety factors and the differences in wire rope construction and WLL's, but not about how to properly make a hanging point using a bridle. After doing this studying, coupled with my hands on experience, I feel confident that I could hang something off bridled points and know that everything has been rigged within the limits of the hardware and adhering to a good safety factor.....but should I?

At what point do you feel like you've reached the end of your abilities?

If you question the way you are doing something you shouldn't be doing it. That said, when I'm working as a ground rigger I've got access to a wealth of knowledge from my lead. Nothing goes up without his approval and it helps immensely. I've learned more about rigging in the last two years than I ever could reading a book (trust me I tried, I'd never rig without hands on but the knowledge is helpful). Bridles are all about trig. If you are good with trig bridles are easy.

Again just because you've learned about them doesn't mean you should. I've learned about nuke plants but I'd never attempt building one or running one. a TD's job is not to do the jobs its his job to co-ordinate the departments. If you're doing a true TD's job the only time you'll get out from behind the desk is to check in on progress on the stage...

In the entertainment industry we are kind of unique in the almost all learning is done "on the job." Rigging is, in a way, the highest risk that stagehands take on, but in all actions in our field you have to draw your personal lines of experience and comfort. I know many very good spot-ops and moving light technicians that very much deserve the title of electrician, but if you asked them to tie in 3 400A services for a rock show they'd be lost and a hazard. It kind of goes the same for your situation. You sound experienced in some aspects of rigging, but if you're going to try something new for the first time you should have someone there that knows what their doing to guide and supervise.

Get on your local arena's over hire list. Start pushing cases for 6 months. Ask about ground rigging. When they are short on a show, they might throw you in to build points and float motors. If you have a good union/arena they will do training on non-show days. You can learn a lot right there. Finally, if your arms are strong enough they will get you up on the high steel and let you pull points. Arena style rigging is one of those things that there is a huge chasm. The traditional college grads from MFA programs can do the math but have never done the work in a large setting. Your standard ground rigger can read a floor and build a point but has no clue what the math is behind it. Lucky for us, we over engineer and over rig arena points to a degree that is just about any configuration your going to be safe. Not saying you don't have to do the math, but there is a lot of headroom there. The head rigger of the show spends hours ensuring that every point is called correctly before the first truck is cracked. The weaker point in most arena style rigging is the truss itself, not the wire rope holding the thing up.

Get more hands on experience. Don't do anything until you have had someone show you how to do it. Books do a lot, but no book will show you the tricks to do it right exactly.

The head rigger of the show spends hours ensuring that every point is called correctly before the first truck is cracked.

What kind of of over-achievers do you work with? And where can I hire them? Good luck in many union venues/cities even marking the floor before the call starts.

Generally riggers know their venues, and very good riggers can see a point marked on the floor and know its a bridal that is 15'-15'+ 4 links. However I have also had to explain to a "rigger" how to use a deck chain, so you'r mileage may vary.

What kind of of over-achievers do you work with? And where can I hire them? Good luck in many union venues/cities even marking the floor before the call starts.

Generally riggers know their venues, and very good riggers can see a point marked on the floor and know its a bridal that is 15'-15'+ 4 links. However I have also had to explain to a "rigger" how to use a deck chain, so you'r mileage may vary.

Not talking the local guy, talking the road guy and on paper... at least that is what is supposed to happen.... Up in my neck of the woods nothing goes into the air unless every point load is know including horizontal load on beams.

The point is that for the larger shows you need to sit down and pre-plan your rigging plot, it is not something that just happens on deck while a few guys look up and scratch their heads.

Ah, so much bigger and more complex shows that actually require a touring rigger, probably more complicated than a few straight trusses and some PA. 20-30 points Can be done pretty quick and dirty depending an the usage and the grid, but certainly, especially dealing with many bridals, and close tolerance between points the math needs to be some beforehand.

To the OP, the fact that you're asking the question is a very good sign. Don't stop.

In college, you learn a lot (a LOT) very quickly. Some of it come from books, some of it's hands-on. You're at the point where you're trying to handle that massive inflow of information -- sorting out the mental bookshelf, as it were. Keep asking good questions, keep putting that information into use; you'll find it gets organized without worrying about it.

You'll find yourself in a spot where you've applied that knowledge, and no one else has. That's the point where "Should I?" becomes "I should!"

Keep asking questions.

Don't stop.

One day, you'll write a good book.

I think finding the line is actually fairly simple. Ask yourself, "Do I KNOW what I'm doing?" If the answer is "Yes, based on my accumulated knowledge and REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE I do KNOW how to do it." then go for it. If there is any hesitation or tentativeness in your answer, then it's time to start talking to someone else. Maybe all you need is to just talk it over with another technician, maybe you need to bring in a pro. As long as there is any concern or hesitation don't do it. I took a rigging class at LDI from Tracy Nunnally. One of the key points he brought up was the importance of talking things through before, during and after doing them with someone else. Talking about rigging makes you safer. Discussing what you are going to do and how you are going to do it, even with someone who has less experience, is a great way to clarify the whole plan in your head and makes you a safer rigger.

Finally, I think being able to apply real life experience is critical in knowing where to draw the line. There's a big difference between reading about something and stretching your skills based on what you read and successfully doing something and then stretching your skills by applying that experience to a more complex rigging task.

The real danger comes when you stop asking yourself, "Do I KNOW what I'm doing here?"

Another interesting thing about our industry is were arena rock shows and theater stage shows overlap and were they don't. My company recently hired a theater rigger with tons of experience who had to learn all the arena stuff, couldn't build steel, had trouble breaking 2 tons (120 ft grid). The skill sets used in both settings for rigging have a lot of independent knowledge so while you might know most stuff for theater rigging that might not mean much for an arena show. And for pulling points from a grid you can't learn that in a book, the only way to become an expert is by pulling every messed up weird point in every messed up situation. Reading is a good start and gives you some background knowledge to reference work experience too but if you have never called a bridal, built a bridal i would seek a professional even if it just to have them come in an let you know what you are doing is right.

Another interesting thing about our industry is were arena rock shows and theater stage shows overlap and were they don't. My company recently hired a theater rigger with tons of experience who had to learn all the arena stuff, couldn't build steel, had trouble breaking 2 tons (120 ft grid). The skill sets used in both settings for rigging have a lot of independent knowledge so while you might know most stuff for theater rigging that might not mean much for an arena show. And for pulling points from a grid you can't learn that in a book, the only way to become an expert is by pulling every messed up weird point in every messed up situation. Reading is a good start and gives you some background knowledge to reference work experience too but if you have never called a bridal, built a bridal i would seek a professional even if it just to have them come in an let you know what you are doing is right.

And that is why the ETCP test is divided into two totally different tests for each discipline. The same thing goes the other way too... a person who has been pulling points for 20 years can't run a rail on their first day. Even pulling points and hanging motors in a standard theatre is a different animal.

Reading is a good start and gives you some background knowledge to reference work experience too but if you have never called a bridal, built a bridal i would seek a professional even if it just to have them come in an let you know what you are doing is right.

That's a great point. When you get into those grey areas where you think you know what you are doing but don't have any personal experience doing it, or you just aren't 100% confident some reason, hire a rigger to work with you or to check your work when you are done. Make it a safe learning experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back