Theatre callback system .

So just to clarify, the QSC Core 110f is NOT a Dante device. It can talk AES67 but you need to check if you Dante devices are able to run AES67 mode - not every device manufacturer has updated / enabled that part of the firmware. The Core 510i can support native Dante with the relevant card installed.

One option that you might look into if this is a complete overhaul is just going for Dante PoE speakers. They are out there and while they can leave a little to be desired in high fidelity environments, they would be just fine for paging and show relay. The advantage of this option is that you could setup your multicast flow for each theatre and then just use Dante controller from anywhere on the same VLAN / subnet to reroute which feed a room gets today.

Biamp also make some equally robust products as QSC - the TesiraForte Dan series may work in your application, with similar I/O counts to the Core 110f

So just to clarify, the QSC Core 110f is NOT a Dante device. It can talk AES67 but you need to check if you Dante devices are able to run AES67 mode - not every device manufacturer has updated / enabled that part of the firmware. The Core 510i can support native Dante with the relevant card installed.

One option that you might look into if this is a complete overhaul is just going for Dante PoE speakers. They are out there and while they can leave a little to be desired in high fidelity environments, they would be just fine for paging and show relay. The advantage of this option is that you could setup your multicast flow for each theatre and then just use Dante controller from anywhere on the same VLAN / subnet to reroute which feed a room gets today.

Biamp also make some equally robust products as QSC - the TesiraForte Dan series may work in your application, with similar I/O counts to the Core 110f

Will be installing the Dante card so that I can grab a feed from FOH. I just really want a Dante network in the main theatre and this is my work around to get it going in the theatre as well. So shh don't tell my HOD about this.

Have you looked into the Yamaha MTX/MRX7 series? They can run on a Dante backbone and have great features. I am using a MTX 3 to to run a previously existing 70v system as well as our ALS. You also can have remote control from your office.

Consider using Dante end points that have in and out (PoE I/O boxes with 2 in and 2 out are common, can serve two adjacent zones). With the 'in' you can provide a 'Listen-back' function so people can acknowledge the Stage Manager's pages. An LED to indicate the 'Listen-back' mic is ON would be courteous so people don't feel like you are spying on them. The 'Listen-back' mic control at the Stage Manager's desk should be a momentary function so it can't get left ON. A local powered speaker would be fed from the Dante I/O box. Currently, none of the digital audio formats support much in the way control signals over the same network cable as the audio, so a separate LAN line to each location could assure the ability to interface to local controls.

Alternatively, if you use HDBaseT video to local video monitors, this can carry the program and page audio as well as control signals, and the remote zones get the benefit of monitoring the show progress visually with the possibility of textual prompts graphically overlaid (nice ADA compliance). HDBaseT can also provide for 'back-haul' audio to support the "Listen-back' function.

The Aurora IPBaseT HT series signal transport protocol supports Dante over an HDBaseT variant. Yes! You can have it all over one cable !

**Since there is no budget, a studio grade recording mic could be suspended in the middle of the ceiling in each room to maximize 'Listen-back' fidelity!

I've designed a bunch of these systems over the years, so If you are interested in hiring a consultant, please contact me. Happy to travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back