Mixers/Consoles Theatre / Musical

Jeroen

Hi,

A question concerning choosing the right sound console / system...

For an upcoming European theatre show with some live music and musical ideas in the show (non-pro), I need to push the voices and keyboards a little.

The theatre has no PA system, so we have to bring in one.

Considering the console:
I can get my hands on either a Mackie CFX20, a Yamaha MG 16-6CX16, a A&H Icon DL1000, a A&H GL2 or, but that will seriously increase the budget a Midas Venice 160 or 320.
sure, the Midas is probably the outstanding table in the pack I listed, but it's probably going to be a little bit overkill? I'm also thinking about weight, size, transport, insurance, amount of channels needed...

Channel list: 1x digital piano, 1x keyboard/synth, 3x wireless mic's
Possibly split out the mic signal to get tone control suited for every actor (6) handling the mic.
Minimum channel count is 5x input, 2x monitor line
I would like to have at least: fixed low cut and good eq per channel.

Second I'm thinking what sound system to put in the front.
The theatre measures 10mx20m, the stage 10mx10m audience is about 170.
I'm wondering if simple active Mackie 1502 would be ok? With them soundpressure is not going to be a problem, but definition?, warm sound?, low mid? Or go for something much better like active RH CF12 tops and RH 18 subs?

It's a little disappointing that almost no brand has consoles that are small but sound big. APB dynasonic prorack consoles do that, and probably A&H Zed also but such consoles are not available.

I appreciate any input on this.
Thanks in advance,

J

I'm sure the higher-end you go on the equipment, the happier you'll be. I work with a small venue about the size and capacity you mention ... here are my thoughts:

* PA: we use SRM450s for the PA ... three hanging in L, C, and R positions, and two SRM350s in the rear of the house for fill and sound effects. Not top-end sound, but still pretty decent. I would think a pair of SA1502s would work just find for your room, unless you need ground-thumping bass in your program, in which case you'll need a sub. I use the SRS1500 sub with the SRM450s ...

* Board: I've used a CFX20 for a couple of years, now have a Soundcraft LX7 in the theater, and own a Yamaha 01v96 myself. I would stay away from the CFX20 primarily because it doesn't have the EQ flexibility that the others probably do. I think hands down anyone would suggest A&H or Soundcraft ... Midas is for live bands, not theater. If you're going to "increase the budget" I would suggest you try the 01v96 ... it's like being a kid in a candy store with features and control -- you won't regret it :)

jkowto, thanks for the answer.

It's rented equipment. For our own equipment, I would go with either an A&H or an APB-dynasonic console. However, the 01v96 would save a lot of space in the booth cause it's comps, gates,... everything in one pack.

I do not realy need ground-thumping bass for this production.
So a pair of SA1521z's is probably ok. Eventualy supported by a sub.

On the other hand I also have an offer to use almost for nothing a complete pa with RH CF121 tops, RH CF18S subs in the front, and Crest LQP12 monitors. The disadvantage, except size and weight, is that this pa is delivered together with a Behringer Eurodesk and Behringer outboard gear (MDX4400, Virtualizer DSP1000, FBD DSP1100, XR2000 gate,...). I wonder if those Crest LPQ12 would be of any use as FOH speakers in a small venue compared to the mackie 1521z

Last edited:
Of the mixers you mentioned, I'd go with the GL2.

"It's a little disappointing that almost no brand has consoles that are small but sound big. APB dynasonic prorack consoles do that, and probably A&H Zed also but such consoles are not available." I'd take a MixWiz over a Zed. The GL2 is the father of the MixWiz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back