Thoughts on a New House Lighting System

Nic Carter

I work for a Non-profit who has gotten a grant for a new house lighting system that can control LEDs and is "greener" than we already have. I'm entirely certain what system we have currently however, I do know is that it is out of production and that we just have a box of bulk parts to fix it should a problem arise. Any suggestions?

I work for a Non-profit who has gotten a grant for a new house lighting system that can control LEDs and is "greener" than we already have. I'm entirely certain what system we have currently however, I do know is that it is out of production and that we just have a box of bulk parts to fix it should a problem arise. Any suggestions?
@Nic Carter Since, quoting you: "I'm entirely certain what system we have currently", how about telling the rest of us?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Nic - house lights and controls for them? Maybe I misunderstand but it could be the controls would work fine to control LEDs - not the dimmers - they're gone with LED house lights - but the entry panels.

You need to work through a lot of issues - constant power, data, and any emergency lighting requirements, and control protocol and zoning. (Because its it easy and cheap, I use DMX which allows individual fixture control. And increasingly color .)

It is not simple today.

Whatever you have/choose to have I would encourage you to consider a DMX solution so that you can add the audience space into the "show" lighting as desired -- as Bill mentioned, you will want to exclude emergency and egress lighting from that (and, of course, the rest of the venue -- lobby, restrooms, offices, etc. -- should be under separate control), but being able to bring the audience into the production via lighting cues can be very powerful for both the audience and the cast.

You can control other than DMX house lights from console. For instance 0-10 (sink) control is pretty easy. Any ETC relay includes 0-10 , like a Foundry mini panel or relay module. DMX in and 0-10 out.
I do allow control of emergency lighting in my dedigns, but loss of power over rides local or console controls. I basically include all auditorium and stage lighting, and lighting in all spaces thst open into the stage and auditorium like control rooms, trap and pit spaces, catwalks, vestibules etc all on the central control system, including console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back