Throwing mics

It is funny I came upon this post today. I was working the sound at my high schools field day today running a Carvin powered mixer with 3 monitors and 2 large mains 3 vocal mics and various mics on the instruments. While a local band was playing someone though it would be funny to throw a full open carton of milk. It ended up emptying in the grill of one of the monitors and soaked a guitar players amp and the mic we had up to it.

We had plenty of people in the crowd who saw.

While watching WWE, I notice, they are pretty rough on their wireless mics. Is it just that they have a hefty budget and can afford to damage them or are there mics that can actually take the abuse?

Yes they have a hefty budget but many times it isn't their gear. I have a badly dented wireless from one wrestler hitting another. I wasn't happy.

Reading all of these posts i realized something. Maybe it is a good thing being on the behind of the scenes part of the show, because if something im working on breaks, 99.9% of the time it will be an accident.

I was doing a battle of the bands at a festival in VA and a grunge band came to the end ftheir first song and the lead singer threw down the wirless mic as hard as he could. i turned on all of the lights and the Monitor Engineer ran on the deck and gave the guy a very stern talk in front of about 800 people. it was beautiful.

WWE etc - the promoter pays...

Re remotely cutting power to amps; If your musos are using valve amps for that special sound, they will (with a degree of justification) be pissed if you cut the power. The valves don't like sudden changes and should be left to cool down etc. Basically it's childish and destroys their gear.

Someone referred to "illegal" noise levels - Under OH&S, the rules in NSW require hearing protection for any noise in excess of 140dB peak or 85dB 8 hour equivalent - ie. 85 dB for 8 hours, 88dB for 4, 91dB for 2, 94dB for 1, 97dB for 30 mins etc. That means 100dB and you are only safe for 15 mins. 112dB off stage is not uncommon in a heavy concert and then you're looking at what less than a minute of exposure to reach your 8 hour equivalent.:twisted:

Re remotely cutting power to amps; If your musos are using valve amps for that special sound, they will (with a degree of justification) be pissed if you cut the power. The valves don't like sudden changes and should be left to cool down etc. Basically it's childish and destroys their gear.

Once in a while won't hurt anything. I've never seen a tube Hi-Fi amp with a standby switch, and their tubes often last for decades.

Storey Time :)

I was doing my 1st new media projection production show thingy in a youth circus show. Anyway, we wore in a booth away from the stage with the backstage loop. We had a 2nd camera on promtside incase one camera failed. We wore watching the promtside camera and the kid from the circus was juggling one of the venue's sen. mics.

I say to my metor "Shoudn't we say something" and my metor responds saying
"A tech will yell"

2 seconds later, a tech comes walking over. Take the mic of him and walks off.

I was doing a battle of the bands at a festival in VA and a grunge band came to the end ftheir first song and the lead singer threw down the wirless mic as hard as he could. i turned on all of the lights and the Monitor Engineer ran on the deck and gave the guy a very stern talk in front of about 800 people. it was beautiful.
I have this image in my head of a guy with a nose ring and mohawk hanging his head in shame and being told to go to his room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back