Tool suggestion for custom gobos?

JFW

Hi there. I have some blank gobo steel and I'm hoping to try my hand at cutting a few custom. Has anyone done this before and is there a tool they would suggest to use to cut with? I'm hesitant to use an exacto knife because I'm quite sure it won't be strong enough. Thanks!

I've done this a few times with pie tin/roasting pans. A sharp utility knife and patience! You may need to go over the same cut several times. Making curves is most difficult and almost never comes out clean enough. I think some have used a Dremel, hopefully they'll chime in.

In general, break ups and simple shapes = easy. Fine details and lettering = hard.

100 W and 150 W high precision lasers .

;)
Or, Dremel tool with appropriate metal cutting discs AND proper PPE. You're probably correct about the Xacto knife; gobo steel can be pretty tough stuff. Which is why most people use disposable aluminum pie plates/cookie sheets.

Acid... And that was a long time ago. Process is a real pain and proper disposal is not easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Acid... And that was a long time ago. Process is a real pain and proper disposal is not easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Any community college with a metal smithing department can help you on that front. We had extensive gear for acid etching all sorts of metals. I would guess lasers would be more effective anyhow, although I would check out the maker bot community and see if anyone has figured out how to hack something together for that purpose... Alternatively a punch could be fashioned to make a breakup or something...

In custom gobo a few questions come up:
1) Gauge and type of plate in what is the composition of the plate you are working with for how to do it. Lots of steel types out there defined and they all have different working properties.
2) How intricate the design as relates to the above.
3) Wattage and type of fixture the custom gobo will go in as relates to the above in gobo material used.
4) How many shows this needs to last - a one off needs is far different than a show lasting a few years in needs, again see above in materials and or make a few of them.

Done even gobos for Mole Richardson MoleEllipsodals at 2Kw, I'm sure our on-line contacts at Apollo can further fill in the details. For one material a certain way of doing it would be fine, for another you willl quickly burn thru everything cut with. Good arbor punch for instance will be a preference thing for me on some gobos, but it also depends on how custom is the gobo and intricate.

Also balance your time value with specifying and just buying it. (Initial thoughts were I presented the project.)

I have some blank gobo steel and I'm hoping to try my hand at cutting a few custom.

Just what do you mean by gobo steal? Do you mean the same stuff they use at the factory? I've never seen anyone try to make home made gobos from the real stuff. I would guess it's really difficult to work with because it's too thick. I've always used pie plates. Trying to cut something thicker than that is going to be difficult. As has been said, blobby random breakups, and stars are easy enough, but trying to cut a precise straight line or do lettering is pretty much impossible with standard shop tools.

...and don't try to acid etch yourself. It's bad for you and the environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back