Trying to figure out what the heck this ellipsoidal is.

Nimick

Same house as my previous thread. lots of new equipment. no documentation.

in addition to the shiny new board that nobody knows how to use there are some S4/Shakespeare lookin' fixtures that say strand on them but bear no resemblance to anything on the strand/selecon website.

the most distinctive thing about it is the way you access the socket. you give the whole socket a quarter turn and the whole thing disengages from the fixture. other than that it's similar to a S4, except that it doesn't appear that the barrels would be interchangeable.

does anybody have any idea what it might be? or better yet what type of bulb to stick in it?

Do they look like this.pdf?

proxy.php

http://s347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/derekleffew/?action=view&current=SLcoolbeam.jpg

See CB Search results for Strand SL for more information.

Ah, the Strand SL. The fixture I love to hate ;). GLA/GLC lamps are accepted and the barrels are interchangeable, but it's not as easy as it is on a Source Four. When you take out the focus knob, be sure to hold on to that little plastic washer because once it's gone, it's gone!

Good luck with 'em!

Oh.. Some things to watch out for:
-Cracked reflectors
-Lamp cap jamming up
-Fixture rotation knob no longer holding fixture's setting (fix requires new plastic internal bushing thing)
-Small parts, easy to lose
-Discontinued product (pretty short run too -- only a handful of years)

I'm beginning to think who ever did the buying for this place should be shot.

but hey, it's a relatively poor urban school, so I suppose I shouldn't be complaining. the kids certainly would not be.

thanks all

This often breaks and jams the barrel rotation...

ohhh thats why...
We got a bunch of these recently also.
I like a few things about them, however. Such as how the lamp assembly comes out, and how the barrel stays quite cool, keeping gel living. On the other hand, the area around the reflector gets super hot very quickly. Also, the gel frame holder has a little hole in it that goes through to the other side, allowing you to glance at the fixture from the rear and see what color gel is in there without having it on.

I think I have a stack of these. Only used them for one 2-month long art exhibit. But they're worth every penny of that $25/each I paid!

While I don't disagree the SL has had it's share of problems, I do recall the clean shutter cuts the unit has been able to project. This quality was somewhat touted when released years ago, and I do agree the projection was nice and clean.

I loved the barrel rotation design but found that ours too had issues with the rotational knob for tightening the composite ring.

Had Strand refined the SL to the point where the build quality was comparable to the Source Four or even the Shakespeare, they would have had a great little fixture, with some really interesting innovations. I've said it many times before, but I loved the compact size of the SL zoom. Same footprint as the fixed focus, only about 4-5" longer. Sold a pair on ebay last year for like $350. Luckily they were given to me, but still...

Ah, the Strand SL. The fixture I love to hate ;). GLA/GLC lamps are accepted and the barrels are interchangeable, but it's not as easy as it is on a Source Four. When you take out the focus knob, be sure to hold on to that little plastic washer because once it's gone, it's gone!

Good luck with 'em!

Oh.. Some things to watch out for:
-Cracked reflectors
-Lamp cap jamming up
-Fixture rotation knob no longer holding fixture's setting (fix requires new plastic internal bushing thing)
-Small parts, easy to lose
-Discontinued product (pretty short run too -- only a handful of years)

Lets see 20 of these FOH Catwalk (nothing else)
2 stuck lamp caps
5+ no knob for lamp cap removal
1 or 2 no handle
get hot fast
not very bright
gel clip is hard to do while hot (gloves are harder because of sideways spring motion)
rotate when you don't wan't rotation

How I wish for 36 S4's...oh well...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back